1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved After Installing new SSD & Reinstalling Windows It wont boot

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rasilsohail, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rasilsohail

rasilsohail Thread Starter

I have an HP Omen Laptop from late 2015 with a gtx 1050 and an I7-7700hq, It's warranty has expired so I cannot get help from the HP support can you please help me?

I installed a new Samsung 960 EVO this morning in the NVME slot in my computer, it's installation went without a hitch and I made sure to ground myself and not damage any of the parts, I've built computers in the past so I know a little about what I'm doing.

After installing the SSD however I loaded into a screen displaying the HP Omen sign and a loading symbol underneath it which would go on for hours, I assumed that something was wrong with it, and after looking at forums with other people in my situation I found that I probably wasn't booting windows off of the right drive. I attempted to open my bios to fix this however I couldn't find a boot menu so, by pressing F10 when starting the computer I opened windows advanced boot settings, and tried to troubleshoot in there, I didn't find anything and restored my changes.

Directly after this I got a message saying that windows was starting automatic repair and in an act of complete stupidity in hindsight without knowing anything about what I was doing tried to reinstall windows thinking that it would reinstall to the right drive and boot fine *sigh*.
    Now my laptop won't even get as far as the omen/windows loading screen before shutting off and turning on again, I also cannot get into the advanced windows boot menu so I am assuming that my re-installation of windows went wrong and probably corrupted by windows. I don't want to buy a new version of windows if I don't have to, and if I do have to install windows again then is there a way I can get into my laptop to extract my old windows and it's activation key?
    Please help I'm really stressing out

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually MS memorizes the hardware and tie it to your activation key. A minor hardware change would not affect it. It should automatically activate when you go online.

3. rasilsohail

How do I access my version of the software and download it though? I'm sure this may be a fairly simple task but I'm also fairly inexperienced.

4. rasilsohail

Yesterday I posted this question:

I have an HP Omen Laptop from late 2015 with a gtx 1050 and an I7-7700hq, It's warranty has expired so I cannot get help from the HP support can you please help me?

I installed a new Samsung 960 EVO this morning in the NVME slot in my computer, it's installation went without a hitch and I made sure to ground myself and not damage any of the parts, I've built computers in the past so I know a little about what I'm doing.

After installing the SSD however I loaded into a screen displaying the HP Omen sign and a loading symbol underneath it which would go on for hours, I assumed that something was wrong with it, and after looking at forums with other people in my situation I found that I probably wasn't booting windows off of the right drive. I attempted to open my bios to fix this however I couldn't find a boot menu so, by pressing F10 when starting the computer I opened windows advanced boot settings, and tried to troubleshoot in there, I didn't find anything and restored my changes.

Directly after this I got a message saying that windows was starting automatic repair and in an act of complete stupidity in hindsight without knowing anything about what I was doing tried to reinstall windows thinking that it would reinstall to the right drive and boot fine *sigh*.

Now my laptop won't even get as far as the omen/windows loading screen before shutting off and turning on again, I also cannot get into the advanced windows boot menu so I am assuming that my re-installation of windows went wrong and probably corrupted by windows. I don't want to buy a new version of windows if I don't have to, and if I do have to install windows again then is there a way I can get into my laptop to extract my old windows and it's activation key?
    Please help I'm really stressing out

Although I got a response to this question saying that my activation key was linked to my hardware, I still do not know how to proceed from here, so let me rephrase my question; How do I get my computer up and running again?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you cannot get to the startup Windows trouble shooter, then the only thing to do is to re-install Windows.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Tell us exactly how you tried to install Windows.

7. rasilsohail

I haven't even tried to install windows yet, I have left the computer as it was since I reinstalled windows off of automatic repair. If you are asking how I reinstalled it off of automatic repair I chose the option to reinstall windows, then I chose the option where it didn't completely remove all of my files to save time (the one recommended for people who would continue using the same computer). How should I proceed from here?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

To get the latest version of Windows 10, download the MS Media Creation Tool. It can generate an DVD or USB stick. Boot with that and choose Custom Install, and delete all existing partitions.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    rasilsohail likes this.
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, did you check that your system supports booting from nvme type drives? Not all do and that is the very first thing to check.
    Next if you have any other drives in the laptop, pull them out prior to attempting an install. With a nvme type drive, windows will install the boot files to a regular drive ie hd, sata ssd, etc rather than the nvme. If only that drive is installed, then setup has no choice but to install all files to the nvme drive.

11. rasilsohail

Removing my hard drive from my chassis will be a very troublesome process, is there any way I can take out my ssd, install windows to my hard drive, then reinstall my ssd and have windows boot correctly to my hard drive so I can use Samsung's software to migrate my os to my ssd? And if so what are the steps to do that?

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You can leave the hard drive in the chassis and just unplug the Sata data cable (the thinner one).

13. rasilsohail

I'll try to do that, however I can foresee me not being able to close the chassis, will that cause problems in the cooling of the computer as I download windows; can I leave the chassis open whie downloading windows without damaging anything?

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Leaving the case open will help cooling.

15. rasilsohail

I downloaded windows and It worked like a charm, however I still want to connect my hard drive to the computer, how do I make sure the same problem doesn't occur when I reattach my hard drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice