After installing the .net framework, windows XP hangs at login!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lava

First of all, hello everyone! I'm happy to have joined your community. I feel sort of bad for joining only to ask a question, but the boards just seemed so helpful I couldn't resist.

Anyway, I recently installed the .net framework to a stable build of windows XP SP2, and now I'm having some problems. I deleted the asp.net account and checked the "don't use welcome screen" box in user profiles because I don't really like the login etc... that comes with it.

That was two days ago. This morning I turn on my computer only to have it take a long time at the windows loading screen, and hang at the off-blue loging screen without bringing up the login box. Now, I wanted to somehow get rid of the .net framework after I realised I didn't really need it, but now it's not even possible. I tried both entering in safe mode (hanging black screen with "safe mode" in the usual places) and using the last known working setting (and got the same off-blue login screen.)

I don't mind reverting to a saved state, but I can't even access the desktop to be able to.

Once again, thanks for everyones help!

Try this:
Select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option . Enter cd \windows at the C:\> command prompt. The prompt changes to C:\>\Windows. Then just enter system32\restore\rstrui.exe and you should have access to System Restore.

Lava

No dice. It hung on a black screen just like in normal safe mode. I can move the cursor, and it has the "safe mode" tags in each corner, but nothing ever loads.

The problem seems the same across the board, with slight variations with how I start it up.

Would bootinh through the XP disc and entering that same string in the repair command prompt work?

Lava

Alright, thanks.

I'll check back here if it does or doesn't help.

Lava

Well, it looks like that wont work. I tried copying and deleting the boot files, as per that article, but when I rebooted, I just got a solid black screen after windows loaded.

I think this may call for a reformat, though I loathe to do so. I had enough of them just trying to get a stable windows install!

Lava

Well, it seems like the repair option doesn't want to show up, and replacing the boot files reset the admin password, so I think my luck ran out.

Thanks a lot for your help, Augie. See you on the other side of the format!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online