1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After installing XP, can't access internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by conscience, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conscience

conscience Thread Starter

I have a comp with two separate hard drives, one a old one(20 GB partitioned into 2 drives each with 10 GB), one a new one (not too new, bought it last year, 160GB). My old drive has Windows XP installed, but it is not in English so I am having a hard time using it. I got a Windows XP with SP2 included in it, and after installing it in my new hard drive, i try to use the internet, but it cant connect, but if I switch to my old drive's Win XP, I can. So can somebody please tell me what is wrong? :confused:

2. Sephroth57

Sephroth57

eh its called windows XP SP2 is buggy as hell. i would uninstall SP2 and go back to 1. SP2 has way too many bugs and is not worth the hassle right now

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Check out Sephroth57 advice there are many that have had no trouble with SP2 but there are many thathave had trouble . Go to this link and compare your computer with known programs that may conflict with SP2 Good Luck

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

5. conscience

I have no softwares installed on it except for XP...

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

In most cases, SP-2 runs fine . . particularly if slipstreamed or installed following a clean install of XP . .

have you run the internet connection wizard?

Start . . Settings . . Control Panel . . Network and Internet connections
    wrs

7. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Conscience http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html If you have XP installed then you do have IE as a browser to search th einternet and Outlook Express as an E mail program . I suggest you follow the above link to Rollin Rogs Security Tools and download Ad-Aware SE , Spy Bot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster Download and use them according to the tutorials at the site . Then go to Grisoft AVG at the site and download the Anti virus Software . Install and set it up , get the latest updates and do a scan . Schedule for an auto scan daily ( as long as your computer is on ) and to ask for updates every 5 days . All of these will help protect your computer from Virus and spyware as you surf the net . If you receive any attachments with your E mail do not open them unless you know they are safe . Many virus are passed this way . Set up your XP firewall . All these tools are free and should be used to protect you from problems . If you have trouble installing them please come back here and someone will help .

8. conscience

I suspect my problem is that becuase i haven't ran the internet connection wizard. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I use it? I tried but got confused by it and got nowhere. *If this helps, I use a cable modem*

9. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

The internet connection wizard is a tool to set up your computer so you can browse the internet . You can click on it and it will guide you through the steps to set up a new connection. If this does not work go to Control Panel>add/remove and look for SP2 . If it is there try to remove it . This may clear up your troubles. It is very important for you to have an anti virus program installed and a firewall for protection . Do this as soon as possible . As you are on a cable modem phone your cable company HELP desk and they will guide you through the steps to correct any problems with the modem , if not they will send a tech out to make things well again and should not charge you for it .

10. conscience

Hehe, I ran the connection wizard and it gave me options, one saying to insert CD from my ISP, so that reminded me of my internet connection that is built into my mobo, and it came with a driver, so then i ran my driver and now everything is just fine.
    I am sorry for "wasting" you helpful people's time, next time I will be more careful before I ask.

11. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Glad you have solved the problem . Nothing was wasted . We all learn a bit more with each problem . (up)

12. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!