1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After login i only see my desktop for 1 second after which it goes to login screen

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by old_gill, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_gill

old_gill Thread Starter

Hi, im using a powerbook g4 and mac os x and am having a major problem. My mac will go to the login screen, when i enter password it will proceed as normal and show my desktop but only for 1 second after which it will go back to the login screen and keep repeating this. Unfortunately i am the only user so i cannot try enter into a different account and as i cannot get in i cannot set up a new account. Upon searching other pages i found someone with the same problem who said it was a font problem with a document on the desktop, and he went into a different account and moved it but as i am the only user i cannot do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

Boot up from the CD/DVD-ROM(s) that came with the computer (insert the CD/DVD, hold down "C" while starting up the computer).

When you get to the desktop trash whatever file you think is causing the problem.

Reboot into the OS on the hard drive. See if that solved the problem.

Back in the "old days" we Mac users used to mess with other Mac users (that were friends) by putting Apple Scripts in the "Startup Items" folder that made the computer shut down immediately upon completion of starting up. That's what it sounds like to me, but I'll be damned if I'd know how to do it on a Mac OS X machine. I suppose it's still possible. I guess I've just outgrown such "antics", so haven't bothered to look. Perhaps Automator could be used to do it... Don't know.

You sure someone isn't messing with you?

3. natcom

natcom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice