1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After McAfee update - Computer painfully slow...Coincidence or other issue?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by elizbeth, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elizbeth

elizbeth Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm trying to help a friend with their computer issue (Dell, running Vista). The machine is painfully slow while online and off.

When online you can click a link or two to jump to other articles, but after a couple of times the computer will just sit with the wheel spinning on the screen and never load the new page. Most of the time you have to use the Task Manager to get out of the browser. This computer is about 3 years old and is used by an older person for basically, email, internet, recipes and etc.

Yesterday, I checked to see what was in start-up and turned off a couple of things, but nothing in there that was a red flag. Cleaned up the registry and de-fraged the hard drive using Tuneup Utilities. Ran Ad-Aware and it took 3 hours to complete! Did not really find anything concerning. I don't think I have ever run Ad-Aware and it take that long to complete a scan. The hard drive is only about 25% full, so there is not a lot on the hard drive.

After asking the owner a few more questions, she said it seemed to start after a recent McAfee update. I don't use McAfee on my computers, so I was curious if this was happening to others who use the product.

I think I may remove McAfee and install Avast and run a boot scan this evening.

I know that I can post a HJT report, but did not want to do that until I had eliminated other possibilities.

I would appreciate any suggestions of other things to check/eliminate before posting a HJT report.

Thank for your time,

elizbeth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice