1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

after moneypak, cannot open files - err as unsupported or corrupt

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by helpwithfiles, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helpwithfiles

helpwithfiles Thread Starter

I had/have moneypak on my laptop. i have downloaded and used spyhunter, malwarebytes and MS essentials and all said they found and repaired the virus. my computer seems to be running okay now, but most of the files on my hard drive (excel, pdf, jpeg's, etc) will not open. The software applications open and then they return a message saying the file is not supported or it is corrupt.
    In addition, all of the modified dates of my files were all reset to the same day this occured - even though I did not open more than a few files that date.
    An example of this issue is when I try to open Excel files is that I get the error message shown in the image I uploaded, and the if I choose yes to open anyway, the Excel files are filled with special characters instead of normal numbers and text.
    I emailed some of the files doing this to myself and then tried to open on another computer and even my iphone. The files still seemed to be corrupt. is it possible that this virus really destroyed all of my files, and if so - is there a way to recover them?
    Also, two other things to note are that my MS outlook security is not saving my passwords.
    1. My email works fine other than everytime i send and receive i have to manually enter my password even though I have asked it to be saved numerous times.
    2. I cannot run some of the webbased software i typically use due to a java script error i believe. the website loads up fine, but when i click within the main page to start using the software, the page tries to load and then freezes up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice