1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After new lan cable Upload speed cut in half

Discussion in 'Networking' started by commanderasus, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commanderasus

commanderasus Thread Starter

Can anyone explain this? My old Cat5E lan cable was cutting out and could not be repaired. So I went and got a new CAT6 UTP 9106 cable. The guy showed me this cable and it looked very tough. He asked how much I needed and I replied about 80 meters. My old cable was 70 meters long. ( I think the guy just put the new ends on the cable as it was already rolled up and he came back in about 5 minutes with the new end installed. There was not enough time for him to unroll all that cable, measure it and roll it back up again. Once I ran the cable and secured it there was a good 8 meters or more extra.)

I wanted to also run this cable inside flex tubing to further protect it from the elements. You may ask why the long length. I share the internet with my neighbor and that is how far it is from his modem to my house. Not a problem installing the cable things went fine and the cable was easy to push thru the flex tubing. I left the protective covers on while I ran the cable. Once everything was secured I hooked the lan cable up. Then proceeded to to a speedtest at speedtest.net. My download speed was what it was before. My upload speed was half the speed of what it was before. I did not change of the settings in the Bigfoot Killer Network Manager software . I did not change of the settings. Current settings are 1000 Mbps Full Duplex. My question is this - why did the upload speed drop in half? Before my upload speed was 20 Mbps and now it is only 9 Mbps. The modem is a fiber optic connection and is only 2 months old. I live in the country and to take the the cable out of the tubing and go back to the shop and shorten it is way too much work. Any suggestions anyone?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12286 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (150 GB Free); E: 74 GB (16 GB Free); F: 69 GB (39 GB Free); G: 931 GB (122 GB Free); H: 931 GB (551 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G1.Assassin
    Antivirus: avast! antivirus.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sharing your neighbors internet is almost certainly a violation of the terms and conditions of his ISP agreement so unfortunately we don't want to assist with this and I'm going to close this thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice