1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After rebuilding computer no OS runs, memtest doesn't run

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 6rgwa, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 6rgwa

6rgwa Thread Starter

Hi, I have renewed my computer with new CPU, MB, RAM. Before I had ecs k7s5a, Athlon XP 2200+ and 512MB DDR1 400MHz. Before rebuilding, everything was working well and computer ran very stable. Now I have AsRock 4coredual-VSTA, C2D e4500(boxed version) and A-DATA DDR2 2048MB 800MHz(my graphics card is AGP Ati Radeon 9800pro).
    I have win xp installation from before, but it want not start. I can see loading screen for 1 second, then BSOD cames up. Unluckily, it is not possible to read what is written there, computer immediately restarts.
    So I tried live linux distribution(danix). It starts loading, but after a while it stops. Last written line is"Accesing KNOPPIX cd at sdv/dvd"(or something like this, it's after a short while).
    Then I decided to run memtest. It was same as with BSOD. It is not possible to read what is written there, it immediately restarts computer. Thank you for any suggestion.

2. 6rgwa

6rgwa Thread Starter

I got some news. When I connected floppy drive with memtest it runs without crashing:) . But nothing else had changed. Maybe someone experienced something similar. Would you please help me?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Rich-M is right. You will have to do a fresh install of windows to get the new system to work. If you had files you needed you will have to install the drive as a slave in another computer and copy them off to back them up and transfer them back afterwards.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Yeah, but if it's not even booting a Linux live CD, he's got bigger problems.

Try setting the BIOS to all defaults. If memtest keeps crashing, you may have faulty RAM.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree he may have more than just needing a clean install.
    Enter the bios and post your temps here.

FWIW [IMO] doing an intel build with a via chipset board is asking for problems. The only chipset to use for an intel build is an intel chipset.

7. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

I would to be honest still try and do a windows install as it is needed anyway, but i agree it may crash, and then we will for sure know there is a problem. It is worth trying...

8. 6rgwa

6rgwa Thread Starter

Thank you all, that you interest. My memory should be all right, it's passed all the tests(as I written before, I can run memtest from floppy). My chipset temperature is around 35°C and CPU around 40°C. But I think I heard some squeaking. I must find out whether it is done by my MB. Otherwise, I only chosen this MB, because it supports my AGP card. Off course intel chipsets are the best.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The squeaking may be a fan or perhaps a wire/cable hitting a fan.

If there is anything on the hd you need, pull it and connect it to the system you are using now. Copy whatever you need ie docs, pics, etc. Reinstall the drive and do a clean install of your os.

Being that you have a via board, install in this order.
    1 Install xp.
    2 Update to sp2 unless your disk already has sp2.
    3 Install the latest via 4-in1 drivers.
    4 Install nic, sound, etc.
    5 Now install the video driver last.
    6 Install apps, games, whatever.

Note the reason for this is that sp2 has an updated agp driver. If you install the chipset drivers first, you will NOT have the updated and improved agp driver installed.

10. 6rgwa

6rgwa Thread Starter

Thank everyone for advising me. Unfortunately nothink helped. I even tried different memories, different psu, different cables, hdd and dvd works also well. There was only one change. When I took CPU out and then back in motherboard, I was able to run memtest, but only once and then everything was the same. I think my motherboard must be faulty, so I will return it and wait;) .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice