1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After repairing a USB stick my pc went to black screen. Only works in safe mode since

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jevanko, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jevanko

Jevanko Thread Starter

I'm writing this on my phone cause my pc doesnt work. Its screen went black after I used Windows tool to restore a damaged USB stick. I rebooted my pc and when I don't go into safe mode, it tries to do a file check but this fails and it then proceeds to a black screen where I do have my cursor and can move it, but thats it. I have tried many reboots but or doesnt change anything. Getting a little desperate now. Does anyone know a fix?

you can find a picture of the screen i get before going to the black screen upon startup here: http://imgur.com/rqm9bCf

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. trogdo

trogdo

How did the memory stick come to be damaged? If you lent it to a friend or you acquired it recently, it may have a virus on it which messed with your system a bit.

When you get to the black screen with the cursor (you mean the mouse cursor, right?), press ctrl+alt+delete, click on Task Manager, then on the New Task button, type in explorer and hit enter. Anything?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What "windows tool" did you use?

4. Jevanko

Jevanko Thread Starter

:mad:
    Havent lent the stick to anyone. Think it just got damaged from pulling it out.
    I tried ctrl alt delete first thing, but nothing happens.

5. Jevanko

Jevanko Thread Starter

Just the on that pops up when you insert a damaged USB stick.

6. trogdo

trogdo

In safe mode, run the HDD check: Start Menu > Run > chkdsk > hit enter. It will likely take some time, might be a few hours, so leave it overnight or something.

In the menu that gives you the choice of normal boot and safe mode, is there a repair option?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice