1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After resizing partition with Partition Magic, D: partition keeps disappearing!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imekul, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've been working on a Dell server (not sure of the model, but can get it tomorrow) that has Windows Server 2008 and a 500 GB hard drive, split into two partitions, giving us a C: and D: drive.

Recently, somebody from the office used Partition Magic (not sure of the version) to resize the partitions. I think they're roughly split up 150 for C: and 300-ish for D:.

Anyway, the resizing appeared to go well, but every couple of weeks, the D: partition completely disappears from Windows! Computer Management shows it as unallocated space, I believe.

Fortunately, I'm able to easily restore the partition using a bootable Paragon Rescue Kit CD. It quickly scans and finds the "lost" partition, and it restores it in no time. I've done this a couple of times now over the past few months.

The question, of course, is WHY is the partition dropping out... or how to prevent it from dropping out in the first place.

The thing I find really odd is that it will drop out while the server is running -- meaning, it will just disappear at a seemingly random time, and nobody will notice until they try to access data that was on that partition.

Any suggestions on what I can check or what the solution might be? It's really confusing! It's nice to know how to restore the partition, but obviously it's still a hassle to have to do that. It'd be much nicer if the partition wouldn't go in the first place. :)

Thanks!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So at one time at some point in the past someone used Partition Magic, and ever since then, one partition randomly disappears with no explanation? A partitioning program would have a one-time effect. It wouldn't have a long-term effect on drive performance.

You don't see anything else in Event Viewer, with drive diagnostics, or with any other scheduled jobs?

3. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

That's right. It had been running fine for months (if not a year) prior to the resize, which is when the problems began.

I don't think we checked the Event Viewer. That's a good idea. The tough thing is it's kind of random, but I suppose we can check as soon as we notice the problem.

As far as diagnostics, should we run anything aside from the manufacturer's diagnostics? Would it be smart to chkdsk both partitions (when the second one is showing)?

Any other thoughts on what might be going on or what we should look at?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You misinterpreted my statement.

Did the problem start immediately after re-partitioning?
    Or did it happen some period of time after re-partitioning? If so, how much time?

Your post seems to imply that the partitioning caused the problem. What makes you think that?

As far as I know, Partition Magic hasn't been updated in years. I wouldn't use it on any modern operating system, certainly not a server. I'd say it's unlikely to cause some random issue that can't be reproduced or even pinpointed in time, but it may be possible.

5. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion.

I would say it happened a week or two after the re-partitioning. Here's my understanding of how it went:

For quite a while (several months or a year), the 500 GB drive was partitioned into two volumes, say 100 GB C: and 400 GB D: (not sure on the exact numbers). All was working well during this time.

A couple of months ago, the office worker used Partition Magic to resize the volumes -- wanting to expand C: and shrink D:. That resizing appeared to complete successfully. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that the D: drive disappeared for the first time.

I do recall the worker telling me that he was initially having problems resizing, due to low disk space on one of the volumes. Partition Magic wouldn't allow the resize until he deleted/moved some files to free up space.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Check Event Viewer.

And post a screen shot of Disk Management.

7. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

Here's a shot of what DM looks like after the partition drops out.

I'll try to get the info on the Event Viewer when they get back in the office. Would you look in the "System" category?

Attached Files:

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

An actual screen shot, not a camera picture, would be easier to read. How do you recover from this situation?

I'd look in all logs.

9. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

Sorry, I was last there on Friday, and I didn't think to save a screenshot. Just took a picture by chance.

To recover from this, I use the Paragon Rescue Kit bootable CD. Works, but obviously is not something they want to be doing every little bit!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice