1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After WIN10 reinstall laptop won't go into BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MC2194, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MC2194

MC2194 Thread Starter

Hey, everyone,

I'm not sure if this is correct category for this question - feel free to move it if it isn't.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop, as it was getting a bit slow. I formatted all of the disks before reinstalling it from USB. After reinstall it worked fine, I connected it to the Internet, transferred under a 100GB of my files from external hard drive, started installing software (Foxit Reader, Dropbox, Google Chrome, Skype and the like), updated my video card driver from a file downloaded from Intel website, as well as Free Driver Scout which updated my other drivers. It connected to the Internet and everything was working well. After installing all these drivers and software, I decided to restart it.

After restarting it, it loaded up saying it was unable to Boot from USB. I thought there was an issue with the BIOS setting so I restarted it, tried to mess around, but I ended up restoring default settings. After that, whenever I turn on my laptop it starts working, I can hear it working and trying load CD-ROM, the ventilation is working, it is charging and the lights that show that it started are on. Besides that, I can't do absolutely nothing - it seems to be working, but the screen is dark and the Windows won't boot. I can't go into BIOS as well.

I tried taking the battery in and out, as well as attaching an external monitor. I don't know what else to try, as it won't even go into BIOS. Please advise on things to try that might get it working. Let me know if you need any kind of additional information and I will do my best to provide it.

Specifications:
    • Asus K55A
    • 6GB RAM
    • 1TB HDD
    • Intel i7-3630QM
    • Intel HD 4000

2. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Please try removing the battery then holding the power key down for 30 seconds then reinstall battery and try again.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Boot up, with the install USB in, and, while booting, hold down the "UP", or "increase" volume key. This can often get you into repair mode, from which you can repair the boot section.

4. Lanctus

Lanctus

What happened when you tried to attach the external monitor?

5. MC2194

MC2194 Thread Starter

Nothing, even though the external monitor was working, it didn't show absolutely anything, just like the laptop screen

6. MC2194

MC2194 Thread Starter

I've tried it, both with the power cord plugged in and unplugged, both while trying to enter BIOS and not trying that. No change whatsoever.

7. Lanctus

Lanctus

It is unlikely an issue with the physical display then, if both options are unreliable.

8. MC2194

MC2194 Thread Starter

I've tried both of up and increase volume keys, both pushing them down and rapidly clicking them. No difference whatsoever.
    I'd like to point out that even though it did say 'Failed to boot from USB' the first restart, after making changes in the BIOS, it never got to that step again, neither could I access the BIOS after.

9. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    How are you attempting to get into the Bios?
    You may have the Win 10 fast boot up enabled, which, on you Asus, prevents you from entering the Bios.
    This is what Asus have to say, as a solution:
    Press and hold the F2 button then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display

10. EdgarSer

EdgarSer

Same thing with mine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice