1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After wrote zeros reinstall of win98 hangs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by labayou, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

Is there a way to really WIPE a hard drive clean?

I have deleted partitions in fdisk, reformatted (several times for both) then used /s command, then used the hard drive manuf's low level format (several times) and another hard drive manuf's llf program and then fdisk and format and am still unable to finish reinstalling win98. It hangs while detecting plug and play, then again while setting up personal config, then again when the stupid welcome to windows begins and upon reboot goes to safe mode only which I cannot get because it says there is not enough space on the drive (2.16gigs).
    Oh, and I also tried installing windows to a new directory; same thing happens; it stalls during the (1) plug&play detection (2) personal config (3) welcome.

The reason for reinstalling windows in the first place was to get a clean install since I stuck the drive in a faster computer to confirm the integrity of that computers mainboard.

This computer is a 233MMX Intel Micron ClientPro vxe which was working beautifully until I stuck the drive in a 900Amd.

So what did I do to it by sticking it in that other computer?
    Totally frustrated

2. marklab

marklab

You may want to run the manufacturers integrity test on the HD to make sure it is ok. Sounds like there may be a problem with the drive.

3. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

thank you very much for trying to help

I downloaded to this computer the Diag tools for the drive, copied to floppy, and transferred the diagnostic tools to the "bad" drive/computer and it says the drive is fine. Also ran another manuf diag tools and it says it's fine, too.

Is there a way to tell absolutely? It is NOT making any unusual sounds nor is it taking an inordinate amount of time to access the drive.

I just tried repartioning into two equal sized drives (C & D)
    but that didnt stop the failure of Win98Se install. Except now it says "Windows Setup requires 7340032 bytes available on your C:" and wont go any further no matter what buttons I press or what I click!

This drive was working fine until I stupidly stuck it into the 900Mhz computer and now I cannot install windows.
    233Mhz Pentium Pro MMX 64ram 2.16gb was working on win98se

By the way, I have another drive that I was working on for a friend (40 gigs) that wont allow reinstall of Win98Se or Win98.
    Stalls at the very same places (1) PnP detection (2) config settings (3) stupid windows welcome.

I just read on another page here that MS will soon no longer support Win98! And I, like the author, do NOT like XP. Been there and have found nothing "better" but have found that computers run slower under XP than 98 in the exact same conditions. IE ram, proc speed, etc.

Thanks for trying to help, hope you arent out of ideas.
    labayou

4. marklab

marklab

Are you trying to install the 40GB drive in the same computer? Maybe there is a hardware conflict with windows 98.

You may want to check <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/hwtest/" target="_blank">HERE</a> to see if that computer is compatible with windows.

I am not sure if they have a list for 98 though. I would check but I GTG in a minute.

5. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

No. Installing win98se to the only drive in the computer; the 2.1 gig that was in the darn thing to start with.

The 40gig was another computer/drive I tried to restart for a friend, but that drive was doing the same thing in its own computer. Hmmm. We just decided the mainboard/ide connectors were bad, but now I dont know.

Can it be sheer coincidence that the drive that was going bad is now bad? I just dont believe it since this has happened before with that other drive.

Thank you for your ideas. I really do appreciate them.

Any other suggestions?

labayou

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Have you tried doing the install with only the basic/necessary hardware installed?
    Ie: Remove sound cards, etc.

7. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

No, but I just ran the manuf diag tools again which says the disk is fine, will fdisk and reformat again and will do just that.

Thanks for the suggestions, you never know what these things want.

labayou

8. rugrat

rugrat

Just throwing in my 2 cents, I am with WhitPhil. I usually remove all hardware except the video and then install the operating system. I then install any motherboard drivers then put cards in one at a time. This has always resulted in fewer or no conflicts and ended up with a better install. It sounds like there are conflicts that windows can't resolve, hence the freeze.

SeeYa

9. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice.

Didnt work either. Guess the drive is bad, but that's against the odds, I think.

Now I cant get Setup to continue, after I format the first thing Setup does is check the drive which is ok, but then Setup says Windows needs x amount of bytes on my drive C... and stalls. Cant get the cd drive to progress any further and its not the cd drive. Going back to Microsoft Knowledge Base, see what it advises.

Think I am going to try pulling the ide cables and put in new ones and maybe putting the drive in another 233MHz Pentium Pro computer I have around here somewhere.

I'll advise.

Sure appreciate all the suggestions.

labayou

10. labayou

labayou Thread Starter

Well, you'll never guess!

ALWAYS there is a way to figure it. ALWAYS there is a message that something is wrong but interpreting that message is the key.

When Setup said "...need xxxxxx bytes to install win98se..." it was telling me something that I misinterpreted. Not the drive but THE RAM!!!

I just woke up with this idea to remove it because this ram was installed AFTER the last working install of Windows.

I removed half the ram, its EDO ram, and now Setup is almost finished installing Win98SE.

Although this ram has been in this computer and running fine for several months, apparently something didnt jive enough for reinstallation of Windows. Guess that where that other computer damage comes in...

Windows is now installed without a single stall! Beautiful!

Soon as I learn to "read" the messages given by Dos...

LIVE AND LEARN!

Thanks to everyone
    labayou

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice