1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aftermath of downgrade...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mithost, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

I just downgraded from an infected vista to XP pro, and I have had a few problems. Some I fixed, some I have no idea what is wrong.

Problem 1: Modem driver was not installed like it was before. I fixed it so I could get internet by using the disc that came with the modem.

Problem 2: No sound driver was installed, so I got one from the internet, confirming it was the right one for my computer (got it off the manufacturer's website)

Problem 3: Game applications lagging badly (movable items being skippy or just not working), no fix yet.

Problem 4: Toolbar images low quality, like if i were to expand them on paint then shrink them back down.

Overall performance is not too bad otherwise, I just feel something is WAY off.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

What make and model is the PC ..laptop or desktop?

What did the PC come with and did you get any discs with it?

3. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Acer Desktop, Athlon 64 Processor, no CD other than the one for the modem.

I have the reinstallation CD's for my older eMachines (came with XP home) but I don't want to try those looking at the warning saying only to use them on eMachine products.

Problem 3 is temporaily fixed if you restart the computer. If you restart the game however, the problem has around 50% chance of returning.

4. Megabite

Megabite

What is the Acer Desktop Model?

how did you downgrade it?

5. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Its an aspire AM1100 Acer desktop, a few years old.

My friend came over and used his disc. he put it in before the white ACER screen, then pressed a button repeatedly to start the installation.

6. Megabite

Megabite

You need to get your own Operating System as using your friends is not the way to go.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    for those that dont know acer bought gateway and emachine computers.but yes u will have to get the proper disks for your computer. u might also check and see if there is any xp drivers for that computer. if not u will have a very hard time finding them. hope this helps u.

8. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

My computer did NOT come with CD's. Im kinda pissed that it didn't. I don't know how im going to get my own OS CD as I am 15 with no job and my parents wont put any money into a computer as they do not understand that computers are not cheap.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    since u are only 15 your parents will have to contact acer and hopefully get a set of restore or recovery disks for that model of computer. if it didnt come with xp to begin with and theres no xp driver for it u might be out of luck . more than likely acer will just send u disks of what was originally in the computer. if by some chance u find xp drivers u will have to buy a copy of windows xp pro or home and they are getting very hard to find and not cheap either.hope this helps u.

10. Irukku

Irukku

11. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Wow, I am kind of shocked you figured that out down to the X1200 part. Im going to update my drivers now.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice