aftermath of liquid damage to inspiron 1501

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CraigBushrod

I have an Inspiron 1501 that drank a few beers last night. Alot had been spilt. I left it to dry, then used the hair dryer and tried to get it going (i know this is a big no no)
Anyway, later that day I got it not only to turn on, but got it to the desktop. Since then however, the laptop turns on to a white screen and shortly after turns back off again.
I know the general way to deal with water damage is to give it time. I just want to know whether my baby's gnna be back to its old self -_-
Thanks in advance,
Craig

dustyjay

Jay
A water Spill, would be one thing, but a Beer spill, would require disassembly for cleaning. Water doesn't leave sticky residue after it dries. Beer does though. Turning the laptop on when you did less than the amount of time forthe liquid to dry actually even using hair dryer, may have caused damage. If you are not comfortable doing a deep cleaning of the laptop your self, I would suggest taking it to a competent Shop to have it cleaned and possibly repaired. I would avoid the Geek Squad though.

CraigBushrod

Yeah, i feared this. Do you think it would be best to give it a couple of days to dry first, before cleaning? I'm quite confident with delving into laptops etc and would do happily to avoid the sky-high cost for what is almost common sense.

Do you have anything to comment about the white screen and turn off?

dustyjay

Jay
Actually the sooner it is cleaned the better and easier it will be. Could be damage to the motherboard or to the the video cable or just the liquid causing a short. For cleaning I would suggest purified water, 91% or 97% Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning away residue. THen allow it to dry for more than just a day, you can aid the drying time by directing a common household fan set on low speed at the parts prior to reassembly. With luck you will have a working laptop after the cleaning provided there is actually no damage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online