1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of empires 3 giving "protection stub has stopped working"

Discussion in 'Games' started by new tech guy, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new tech guy

new tech guy Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a bit of a problem here. I am trying to play age of empires 3 on my laptop which runs windows vista ultimate, vista is fully patched, and hardware DEP is enabled. The trouble is when i first installed the game and played it, all ran fine. However, after updating it it began giving me errors that the protection stub has stopped working and as well, the game would return the same error as well. I have seen this before and know its a DEP issue as i have had to allow the game in the past. Now, i do not know what Protection Stub is or where it's executable lies. If someone knows where it is could they please let me know. I could not find anything by googleing and help and support gives cryptic messages that dont help me. I do not even know what this executable is named.
    Thanks for the help.

2. brianF

brianF

3. new tech guy

Thank you for the suggestion however, i am searching for the location of the "Protection Stub" executible and/or the name of it so it can be allowed through DEP. I know once that is done the game should run without incident on the pc.

4. new tech guy

Ok progress, i got the game running again. No longer crashes after reboot and i located the file by tracking the taskmanager. It is a strange temp file that stashes into the user's temp folder. I guess i could try deleteing the file...will keep you posted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664407