Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Age of Empires Gold Edition: insert cd

Solved 
19K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  lochlomonder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello and thank you for your time.
I have bought and installed a new copy of age of empires gold edition which includes the original and the expansion RoR. While they installed and reinstalled successfully whenever I click on single player, scenario editor or even after trying to launch a multiplayer game with bots I am greeted with: "you must insert a game cd to play a single player game, and then restart age of empires." This happens for both the expansion and the original game. The menu and everything else works fine.

Solutions I have tried
-Changing compatibility under properties to all possible options (windows 95,98 etc.) then restarting.
-Reinstalling having done the above.
-Downloading Virtual Box Oracle and making a windows 98 virtual machine and inserting an ISO image i made of the disk with project iso, to which I am told : "FATAL could not read from boot medium system halted"

I am pretty derpy with technology so I probably just messed that^ up but I have also heard advice about a "crack" which I didnt try. Anyway if I was on the right track but just couldn't make it work let me know or even better if there are any other solutions I really appreciate the help.

Thankye

See less See more
#3 ·
Which operating system are you trying to run it on? It's a really old game and you're likely heading in the right direction by trying to run it on a virtualized OS, but it won't run from an ISO.

You should still be able to access the drive in the virtualized Win98 environment, so run that via VirtualBox and try navigating to the disk to run the installation executable.

#8 ·
Okay, that looks if it may be a simple fix. Try changing the boot order so the hard disk is first, and you should consider removing the floppy and optical disks from boot order anyway since they won't be accessible from Win 98. Just to be absolutely sure: you went through the entire process and installed Win 98 fully, right?

#13 ·
Since that site is giving out serial numbers, I would say it's definitely not legal. You could have a look on eBay, but be careful to ensure you buy the full Win 98 Second Edition and not an upgrade disk.

As far as installed it as a VM is concerned, this YouTube video gives a decent walkthrough on how to get it installed on your host machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.