1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Empires II freezes

Discussion in 'Games' started by cullism, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

This is a recent problem. Sometimes (not always) when I am playing Age of Empires II the game screen disappears and instead I get a black rectangle in the top left hand corner of the screen. At the same time the cursor disappears. I can bring back the game by pressing Control, Alt, Delete then clicking the cancel button. The problem will then return at random intervals for the rest of the game.

When I have this problem I run Advanced Windows Care and Glary Registry Repair which fixes the problem for a few hours. I can tell when the problem is going to arise because I get flickering lines across the screen.

2. pntbllrspdr

pntbllrspdr

I'm no help, but it would help others if you could post your computer's specs.

3. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I have completely uninstalled the game using Revo Uninstaller then re-installed it. So far so good.

4. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

It might just be a problem with the game, I mean it is like 6 years old or somin, so I wouldn't be surpised if there were any bugs in it.

5. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I thought I had solved the problem by re-installing Age of Empires II. It has returned! This time I got an error message saying "Could not initialize graphics system. make sure your video card and driver are compatible with Direct Draw".

The game has worked for years without a hitch. What is Direct Draw? Do I need it? If not, how can I get rid of it?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice