1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Empires II installation problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Timbersnake, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timbersnake

Timbersnake Thread Starter

Hi,

Im lost on this one and I hope someone can help me out!!

I have just installed Age of Empires 2 on my computer. Its 20GB, 1200mhz, 256 ram so should be enough power and room for it??

I put in the CD-ROM, and did the part-installation option (not-including cinematics). Once it was installed from the disc and the icons were created, I restarted the computer. I then put the disc back in and clicked on the shortcut. The intro screen including installation, web-connection etc came up, and I selected the 'play' option. Then an error message appeared. 'Cannot locate the CD-ROM. Please insert the correct CD-ROM, press ok and restart the application'.

However, this is the correct CD-ROM? the same one I installed the game with?? So why is it asking me this and refusing to play?

I tried to re-install the game, and then selected the full installation option (with pre-game cine-matics) but it just says the same thing. Ive looked at the instructions and in the box, and I cant find another disc. Do i need another disc? Am I missing one?

I just cant work it ut. I hope someone out there can help!! many thanks, Justin

2. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Is this AOE2 got the expansion pack. Have you got the disc is while playing it, if so, is it a copy, as copyied games do not run! I have this game as home, and had this error before try these things i have suggested and i might be able to help.

Is it an XP machine (what edition if so)?

3. Timbersnake

Um, yes it is the expansion pack. it has three discs but each for a different game edition. I am running windows XP Pro. How did you solve your problems with AOE2?

4. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

did you install AOE II: Age of Kings before the conquerors expansion?

5. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

What you have to do, is copy the expansion files to the AOE's system folder, install the files (setup) then right click the game file that makes it play and paste shortcut on the desktop. In theory you should be able to start playin

6. Timbersnake

yes as the conquerors expansion needs age of kings installed first. i havnt installed the conquerors expansion yet, as i want to get this problem sorted first.

7. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

oh you said it was the expansion:
    i assumed you were talking about the conquerors.

8. Timbersnake

Thanks PC doctor, il give it a try to see if it works. but can you explain that process abit more. im not sure about expansion files etc!! can you run through that process in step by step instructions as if never done this yet!

Thanks alot doc

9. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

U have to install the expanision after that one to make it work. Because thats why Microsoft released the expansion as an update, if you install it it will work

10. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

.. no.... the expansion pack was released as an upgrade, not update. thats ridiculous to say that you have to install the expansion pack to play the original game.

heres what i think:
    1) you got a bad disk, which is entirely possible
    2) some drivers need updating. the reason i say this is because that when i got doom 3, i got a similar message (it couldnt recognize the disk, but it installed flawlessly). turns out that i need to update the drivers on my motherboard. i dont what it did, but it worked fine. i have an nForce mobo, and got my drivers from the nVidia website. so, are all your drivers up to date?

now what you could do, since aoe is actually installed, install the conquerors and run it, see if that works. it is a much better game anyway. theres no point to play the original when you have the conquerors.
    however, you usually need to run aoe II at least once before you play the conquerors...

11. Timbersnake

Ok i get you now. well both the discs are installed now, but i dont no how to copy the expansion files over, as i cant find the age of kings or expansion system folders! do i have to basically merge the expansion folder into the AOE one?

12. Timbersnake

ok, your theory sounds better. This is the first game I have installed so I have no idea what graphics ability i have, or drivers etc. How would I know what motherboard i have, and where to find the drivers i might need???

13. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Yes merge them all together, then install the Expansion pack, then copy the expansion game file and right click on the desktop paste shortcut.

14. Timbersnake

and yes, conquerors doesnt work either!! installed perfect but same problem!!

15. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

do you have more than one disk drive? maybe like a cd burner drive? try that

*[Your computer should be able to handle this game. the requirements are not very demanding at all]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice