1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Mythology shuts off my laptop

Discussion in 'Games' started by germancho, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. germancho

germancho Thread Starter

I have a 3.4GHz, 512 RAM Toshiba Laptop, and for some reason since last week every single time I play Age of Mythology: The Titans Expansion, after 20 minutes or so of smooth gameplay, my computer shuts off. Just like that. It doesn't warn me or anything, it just shuts off, and I don't know what the problem might be, i even tries playing it in a window thinking that it was warning me (I was just not seeing it), but my laptop shut off regardless, without any warnings. This doesn't happen with any other program.

HEEEELP!

2. ketsueki13

ketsueki13

I had a similar problem with another game. Are you playing off the battery or AC and, if you're playing with the AC, is your battery empty?

3. germancho

germancho Thread Starter

Nope, battery seems fine... besides I always play with the AC plugged.

4. ketsueki13

ketsueki13

Ok. I was asking because I had a very similar problem with another highend game where it would shut off if the battery were dead and it was plugged in.
    Sorry, I can't help much more.
    Good luck.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    *off topic* Word of advice: Don't leave your battery in the laptop when fully charged. It can damage the battery to a point where it won't hold charge.

*on topic* Check your power options. Try setting it to Presentation *which should be Never on all options* and see if that helps.

6. germancho

germancho Thread Starter

Yep, didn't work... but now the same thing happened when playing another game. It just spontaneously shuts off! It's freaking me out!

7. ketsueki13

ketsueki13

Is your laptop getting particularly hot? Are the fans running properly?

8. germancho

germancho Thread Starter

The thing is that I leave it connected for days downloading stuff and it never shuts off like that... it's only happened whemplayin AOM, but then agaian, it's the only thing I've played in quite a while.

9. ketsueki13

ketsueki13

Playing a game would raise the heat level alot more than just letting it download. It could possibly be a heat issue. Maybe keep an ear out for the fans or lack thereof?

10. germancho

germancho Thread Starter

Yes, I'm suspecting that is the thing. However, the fans seem to be operating normally (at least now), but with a game the laptop could definitely overheat and make an emergency shutoff.

How do I fix that (without paying hundreds of euros in Technical Service?).

11. ketsueki13

ketsueki13

Laptops are not real user-servicable, and I wouldn't suggest trying to fix any problems yourself. However, if the fans are running correctly, you could possibly by a cooling pad or another laptop cooling device.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!