1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Mythology Trouble

Discussion in 'Games' started by futreWPgrad, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. futreWPgrad

futreWPgrad Thread Starter

Hi. This is driving me insane!!! First off, I have almost NO idea how to do all this tech stuff, so please try to simplify it as much as possible. I have Windows Vista and have installed AoM at least 2-3 times before and it worked PERFECTLY. But just today, after getting a strange feeling to play it, I tried installing it. It installed fine, then I installed the expansion pack and it installed fine. Then, when I tried to play it, it showed the beginning cutscene then it blacked out and went back to my desktop and said that MXSML 4.0 is not installed correctly (not sure if that's exactly what it said, but that's what it meant) So after googling to find out what the heck that is, I downloaded one of them that seemed most likely to work and everything went smoothly and it immediately updated to 4.0. Then, when I tried to play, it did the same thing :mad:. I tried rebooting the computer, updating the game, reinstalling the game, uninstalling then installing again. NOTHING worked :(. I'm completely stumped:confused:. Please help me!

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. futreWPgrad

I'm sorry if I sound like a complete idiot for not noticing something completely obvious, but what am I supposed to do there? Search up AoM? Or select something? Again, sorry if it's completely obvious because what I got was something for Civilization. Unless that's supposed to be VERY similar to AoM, I have no idea what to do.

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. futreWPgrad

No. That didn't work either. I installed it and rebooted/restarted my computer and it still does the same thing... Wait. Do you need the expansion pack to be installed for that patch to work? Because I didn't bother installing that again until I got the base game working.

EDIT: If it does, no big deal, I'll just install and try it then.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Worth a try

7. futreWPgrad

I'll try and reply with how it goes in 5-10 mins.

8. futreWPgrad

Nope. Still didn't work. Boy when technology decides not to work it REALLY doesn't want to work...

9. Megabite

Megabite

10. futreWPgrad

I just read the part of you're first post about it not being compatible with Vista (must have grazed over it). The question is, how did I get it on in the first place :confused: This computer has had Vista from the start and this is the computer I installed it on 2-3 times before. I just did what it usually tells you to do and it worked. Man am I wishing I had never uninstalled it...:mad:

11. Megabite

Megabite

Well your Vista probably has had many Windows updates installed since then I would guess.

Take a look at the link above ..it is a bit long winded I know

12. futreWPgrad

I went through all of that and I got stuck at where I have to Extract msxm14, but I was able to find the four files it was talking about. The problem is, I can't seem to copy them to where it says. I found it, and it gives me two choices: "Copy and Replace" or "Don't Copy". I tried both and it says "Entry denied" for both. What am I doing wrong?

13. Megabite

Megabite

Found this on the Web, you could also try as well going into safemode by tapping F8 on startup.

"You must use Windows Explorer and UAC must be enabled. You will get several
    UAC prompts when trying to modify system files. If UAC is disabled you would
    have to use the icacls command in a command prompt. It's much more
    complicated. In Windows Explorer browse to the file. Right click it and pick
    Properties. On the Security tab click on Advanced. Change the owner to
    yourself. You may have to reboot or logoff then logon. You should now be
    able to change the security settings."

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice