1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Mythology with Hamachi help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by black_stallion, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black_stallion

black_stallion Thread Starter

Okay I've been searching ways to play Age of Mythology online through Direct IP/LAN using Hamachi(not the online version through ESO) I've followed the guide at http://www.cynicsunlimited.com/2007/06/30/tutorial-internet-gaming-with-age-of-mythology-and-hamachi/ till the end. But what next? I've installed Hamachi on both PC's to be used for multiplayer gaming. I have the Hamachi addresses on both machines. Also, when I try to host a game from either of the two computers,the game does detect both the addresses: my actual IP address as well as the Alternate address(given by Hamachi). However, the client does not seem to be able to detect the hosted game.

Once a game had been hosted on one PC, I did this from the other PC:
    Multiplayer>LAN/Direct IP>(entered some nickname). In the Type a direct IP field, I entered the Alternate address(or the Hamachi address). Yet after the 15 sec timeout, the hosted game is not visible and I simply receive a message: Could not join a game at the given address. Please try another.

What could be wrong? Many guys seem to have been able to play multiplayer successfully using the aforementioned guide. Where'm I going wrong?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

What are the operating systems?

3. black_stallion

Both the PCs run on Win XP Pro SP2(5.1,Build 2600).

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

do you have any firewalls on the computers other than Windows Firewall?

Also I believe that you may need to install the IPX/SPX protocol, but I am not too sure.

Are you able to get the same result if you reverse the host/client (as in PC2 is host not PC1)

5. black_stallion

No, apart from Norton Internet Secrurity(2010), there are no other firewalls. Yes, reversing the host/client gives the same result as before. About those IPX/SPX protocols...how do I install them?
    Also, I tried playing multiplayer with GameRanger. Although we can connect and play the game fine, what happens is that, on one PC, GameRanger uses too much bandwidth while on the other, it works fine(takes about 7-10 MB per hour or so) Tried deleting/re-installing but still the same condition.(No viruses/malware/spyware were found on either PCs either) And I'm fairly certain that GameRanger's responsible for the excessive bandwidth usage as removing it removes the bandwidth problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975378