1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Age of Mythology

Discussion in 'Games' started by Low Mein, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Low Mein

Low Mein Thread Starter

Recently installed Age of Mythology. The game seems to have installed a program that I am unfamiliar with:
    MSXML4 Parser
    Is this part of the game's muliplayer program and does it always install it? What is it for?
    Thanks for any info

2. lucklobster

lucklobster

I don't really know about Age of Mythology, but XML is a markup language (like HTML which is what web pages are made of)

XML is used for many things, but one of it's big uses is as a way of standarizing data storage and database interfaces.

A parser is a program (or part of a program) that reads through a file and extracts the information in that file so it can be used.

MSXML would be "Microsoft XML"

I would guess that Age of Mythology uses XML formatting of some kind to store and/or send information. The parser would then be what knows how to read those XML files to extract information relevant to the game.

Anyone else know more? Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Low Mein

Low Mein Thread Starter

Lob
    Thanks for the help. It was more than I knew about the program, although I'm still sort of put out that Microsoft saw fit to install this program with the game without any notice. I guess other people who installed the game aren't the sort to check out their add/remove program list once in a while to see what's in there in case there's something you didn't install and don't want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice