1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Agent Forte access

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chab, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chab

chab Thread Starter

Running XP Pro.

For several weeks now having difficulty accessing news groups with Forte Agent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I get timeout error 10060.
    I am running ZoneAlarm (free) AdSubtract, McAfee anti virus.

Forte says it is Verizon's fault, Verizon doesn't support Forte but the kicker is that I can access NewGroups with my 98 box.
    What am I missing? Driving me nuts.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm using Forte Agent for newsgroups without any issues, have for years. Have you tried a different news reader on your XP machine to see if it also has problems?

3. chab

chab Thread Starter

Yes, tried Outlook Express and it too had the same issues. However, Verizon, in their infinite wisdom says they do support OE issues so will see what happens. My problem is that I paid $25 for the full Agent. Whenever it decides to work with my ISE, it works real well.

Thanks,

Chuck

4. chab

chab Thread Starter

Well there are gremlins for sure. Tried Forte again just now and of course it worked just fine. The intermittent issue needs to be addressed. Is it a Winsock issue or the ISP? I sure haven't got a clue. If anyone can come up with anything I would be really pleased.

Thanks,

Chuck

5. tnik

tnik

sounds like the newsgroup server to me.. try using a different server, or break down and pay for a quality newsgroup server. www.easynews.com is one that you could try, (I use it and love it).

6. JohnWill

Comcast in my area gives you a 1gig account with GigaNews, which is a decent news server. I have another one with SuperNews, also a quality provider. I've never had any issues with either news service and Agent, works like a champ, and has for years through a bunch of versions. :D

7. chab

chab Thread Starter

Nuts it bothers me that I would have to now pay out for another news server. Been using the ISP one for years with 95 and then 98. The 98 box works just fine and of course my Alienware with XP just is intermittent. May just have to go to other news.

Thanks,

Chuck.

8. JohnWill

FWIW, when I had several different dial-up accounts, and even with Comcast, the news providor periodically changes as they make changes on their end. Comcast has changed the news service three times since I've had them, less than three years. :)

9. tnik

tnik

The difference between an ISP NNTP server and a Pay service are that the ISP servers don't have the retention or quality of a pay service. The ISPs NNTP server is set to only hold so much cache, so when people keep uploading things to the newsgroups, the older posts get canned. (which could be only a day or less old) Whereas the pay services, they will actually try to check for completed posts, and have a retention of posts for anywhere between 15 - 30 days. And since it is a pay service, they take pride in their uptime and connection speeds, where the ISPs probably don't give a crap.

10. JohnWill

I can identify with that. :) That was the original reason I went with SuperNews, and they have recently dropped the price to $10.95 for 10gigs/mo, which is a pretty good deal. They also have very long retention times, even for the binary newsgroups, several months is the claim.

11. chab

chab Thread Starter

Appreciate all the replies. I have been checking out AthenaNews.
    sounds like it has all the features mentioned. Will try different ones month by month with attention paid to the names mentioned in the replies.

Thanks,

Chuck

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice