1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ages to install windows2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mosu, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosu

Mosu Thread Starter

Hi

I have just blew up the computer...I was running windowsMe,I
    had a problem installing a program, the computer stop completely, i swithed it off , on again but it wouldn't go any futher
    than the blue screen with the welcome window of windows ME, i have tried to
    start up in safe mode but i know nothing about the black screen...anyway, the thing is that i decided to format the hard drive , and the setup seems to be frozen in the blue screen that says "please wait while setup formats the partition
    c: unformatted or damaged 25000Mb" It has taken an hour to get to the 45% and now is not doing anything at all...

WHAT CAN I DO?

please, in easy=plain english, i'm not good at both(computers and english) nice frame !!!!

Thanks

(in the other partition i will install linux, now that i have to format everything, i'd like to try it)...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you trying to install winme or win2k? The subject line says win2k, however your post refers to winme.

The reason I am asking is that they have very different methods of installing.

3. Mosu

Mosu Thread Starter

i want to install windows2000

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Could be your hard drive has gone bad. What is the make and model of the hard drive. Go to the manufacturers website and look for any diagnostic utilities they have. I know Maxtor and Seagate have one.

What is the size of the drive and were you trying to format the drive NTFS or FAT32.

5. Mosu

Mosu Thread Starter

The hard drive is ATAPI...I have already managed to install a 996Mb patition...since it wasn't letting me go for a 25000mb...Now i'm trying again in a 20000mb partition using FAT32...so far it's in 24% i hope it carries on like that...

6. Mosu

Mosu Thread Starter

It has stop at 52%...it seems dead...It has been a long time now there and it doesn't go any further...Shall i give it more time???

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. If the drive checks out with no errors, have the utility write zeros to the drive. This will put it in the same state as when it was new.
    Now boot with the win2k cd and have setup create whatever partition you want. Format with ntfs and setup will continue loading win2k.

8. Mosu

Mosu Thread Starter

At the end i bouthg a new hard drive...and now with more time i will try to find the hd utility and fix the old hard drive....thanks a lot

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!