1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aging Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimmy A, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Our shinny new Dell Dimension 8250 (Jan 2003) is 4 years old now. It has a 120 Gig hard drive which has always worked well. It's a Seagate ST3120023A. I'm wondering how long it will last. Could it go on another 4 or 5 years, or will it do well to last through the rest of this year? Can anyone tell me what I might expect here?

2. steigrafx

steigrafx

There's really no way to tell. I'm a network admin with hundreds of PC's and have had brandnew drives fail in a day or two, and I've had drives that have lasted for more years than they had a right to.

3. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Thank you. Maybe I should get one of those external hard drives and cloning software, if I can figure out how to use it, and be ready like a good Boy Scout.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That would be a fantastic idea .... get Acronis True Image.

I would also suggest an External HD Enclosure .. and put a new HD in it.
    Then you also have the ability to change (swap) the HD in it ... or use it to read a HD that won't boot.

Watching for Sales on HDs ... this is usually cheaper than one that comes assembled.

5. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour

Noyb,

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!! LOL, just had the issue of losing several months (yes I know back up...as well as don't drink so much Coke...) of data when my HDD in my Alienware laptop took a nose dive and just died!

Someone, I believe Bonk, made the suggestion of True Image, ended up buying the Disk Manager programme as well, money well spent! Less than 5 minutes backed up 8G of Windows XP, Office and a few other Bits and Bobs.

Now if I could only find a driver for my nVIDIA card....

Paul

6. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

What is an External HD Enclosure ??

7. steigrafx

steigrafx

It's an external case within which you place an internal hard drive. They're made for either SATA or PATA drives, and they connect to the PC via USB or Firewire.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Right ... A USB enclosure to put a HD in.
    You need the enclosure .. a HD .. and some assembly required.
    Also great if you have some extra HDs lying around.

A peek inside my favorite .... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817123021

Attached Files:

9. robomatic

robomatic

On your drive: When I buy a new HD I tend to plug it in and leave it on for a couple of weeks whether I use it or not. Seagate is a good brand and if you've had no problems in four years, odds are there is nothing bad imminent. Still the idea of buying a new Seagate or Western Digital drive and putting it in a 'box' is a very good one. Show some backup! I've bought two ACOM enclosure units over the past five years and I liked them very much, rugged, durable, quiet. They work with either USB, USB2, or Firewire.

I have yet to see an external enclosure unit you can buy that will seat SATA, although there are external drives like the WD mybook series which come ready to go, just not able to switch out with different internal drives.

10. steigrafx

steigrafx

robomatic, search newegg.com for "external usb sata" and you'll see there are now many external sata enclosures available.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice