1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP and nVidia problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by casperboy77, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. casperboy77

casperboy77 Thread Starter

I have a computer that I built a few years back. I upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate. I had an AGP ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro. ATI's Drivers and Vista just have been a nightmare. I was in need of making my system stable and also try to get a couple more years out of the computer untill I can afford to replace it. Well the new video card I bought is a XFX GeForce 6200 512MB DDR TV DVI AGP. When I installed it and installed the latest drivers Windows gives an error Code 43. I have tried everything and can't figure out what is wrong. Below is my configuration. There is one last thing that might be wrong but I don't know how to set it. In the BIOS there is AGP timing control and other settings. I have AGP Fast Write disabled. Also there is AGP Aperture and that is set to 128. It also has Spread Spectrum and AGP frequency. I don't know what the settings should be and I don't know if it even makes a difference. Any help would be very much appreciated. My system is below:

Motherboard MSI KT6V (MS-7021 Ver 1.0)
    2 x 512mb DDR 3200 RAM (1gb total)
    750gb SATA Hard Drive
    750 watt Power Supply

Motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS and all chipset and other drivers are the latest version. Thanks again for any help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some problems with switching cards are because the old drivers are not completely removed. Try uninstalling the NVidia drivers, running a driver cleaning program to remove all the ATI remnants, and then reinstalling the NVidia driver.

Driver Cleaner Professional
    Nasty File Remover

3. casperboy77

casperboy77 Thread Starter

I Uninstalled all ATI drivers using the add/remove programs. I then downloaded cat-uninstaller and ran that. I then ran Registry Cleaner Pro, then I used: guru3d's Driver sweeper and then I used Driver Cleaner Professional 1.5. After all of this I then ran check disk. I then installed the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia's website. The drivers install perfectly with no errors. Under device manager it shows error Code 43. This is why I am guessing it has to be a BIOS setting or hardware issue. My mainboard has AGP 8x so I just can't figure out what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you for your quick reply. -Jim

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the AGP set at in BIOS? If it is set to 8, try 4 or some other setting, if available. Leave all the other settings at default. Even though you have probably done so, make sure the card is well-seated and even try removing it and cleaning the contacts with alcohol.

Error Code 43 means that the device has been stopped because it reported problems. It is generally due to a bad driver. You could also try an older driver, preferably one that was released not long after the card came out. It's possible you simply got a bad card. It would be nice if you had another machine to try it in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice