1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Aperture Size: HIGH or LOW?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NightLord, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightLord

NightLord Thread Starter

I recently came across something that has been bugging me for a while now and I would like to hear what you guys think about this.

The AGP Aperture Size may be adjusted in BIOS and when I bought my new system the guy recommended to use half of my system RAM as AGP Aperture size. Being memory solely dedicated to the graphics card this seemed to make sense, especially when gaming, thus I always had it at 512 Mb.

But on the other hand one may say that the rest of the system now only has half (512 Mb) of the RAM available. I'm running XP-PRO-SP2 and never really had issues concerning system speed so I never really had a reason to question my settings.

I have an ATI 9800XT card with 256 Mb RAM. It seems to perform quite well with the extra 512 Mb, but I'm hearing more and more ppl saying that it's better for overall performance to keep AGP Aperture Size lower at e.g. 128 Mb.
    For the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) it's said to actually improve performance when the AGP Aperture Size is lowered.

Anybody?

/NL

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most game developers try not to exceed onboard memory in designing games. The aperture size only determines the max that will be used if the onboard memory runs out---often not used at all.

It seems that a good conservative setting is 128. Setting it too high won't improve performance, but too low could hinder performance.

You could try 256, but if there are any problems rendering textures, go back to 128. As I said, 128 is probably a good all-round choice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice