1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Card Acting Like PCI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cbs42, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbs42

cbs42 Thread Starter

I have an AGP motherboard (because I lack the funds to properly upgrade to PCIe) and after some truly abyssmal 3DMark06 scores (compared to others with nearly identical system stats I'm getting about 1/4th or 1/3rd the score), I decided to look into how I can ramp up my performance. Anyway, when I looked at my Display options, I noticed something horrifying: It shows that the graphics card is using a PCI bus instead of my AGP 8x bus. I'm not sure how or why this is happening, but it's unacceptable! I didn't even know that is was possible for an AGP slot to use a PCI bus. When I go into my mobo BIOS screen, it shows that I'm set to use "AGP 8x" so I don't know what else to do! Also, the 3DMark06 stat screen shows that my graphics card core processor is running at 11 MHz. When I compare to others with identical system stats, it shows that all of them are running between 350 MHz and 425 MHz. Is my low number due to the fact that my card is using a PCI bus, or is this a separate issue?

Here's the screen showing my PCI bus usage:
    [​IMG]

Here are my relevant system stats:
    Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    Processor: Athlon 64 3000+
    Memory: 1GB (2x512) Corsair DDR
    Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 6800 GS
    ForceWare Version: 84.26

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. datamonger

datamonger

Is there any reason why you have not updated to SP2? I have seen a lot of drivers not act right until the system had been updated.

3. cbs42

cbs42 Thread Starter

I thought that question might be coming.
    :)

The last time I tried to upgrade (which, admittedly was a while ago) it was disastrous and resulted in me having to reformat my HD and reinstall everything from scratch. I don't care to go through that again.

Alas, if there are no other suggestions, that may be the route I have to take.

4. colmaca

colmaca

5. cbs42

cbs42 Thread Starter

Ok, I upgraded to SP2 -- successfully this time!
    [​IMG]

However, it had no effect on my graphics performance. In fact, my 3DMark06 score actually decreased after the SP2 upgrade.
    :(

I even re-installed the ForceWare driver post-SP2 to make sure that didn't make a difference. Also, when I upgrade to 91.31, Windows Media Player stops playing video files (the WMP process goes to 99% and stays there). This was actually the first problem I ever posted on these boards. I discovered that 84.26 is the only version (out of the 4 or 5 that I tried) that allows WMP to behave properly with my card.

As you can see from the above screenshot, the "bus" description still says "PCI". I would like to hear from someone with an AGP card concerning this matter. Does this field always say "PCI" or should I be expecting it to say "AGP" instead?

Also, 3DMark06 STILL shows my "core" graphics processor to be running at 11MHz while everyone else with my card runs at 350-425MHz.

I would GREATLY appreciate any more suggestions or advice! Surely someone else out there has had this problem. I can't be the first, can I?

6. 0uT

0uT

I search on the net for this problem and i didn't found anything associated with this problem, i have nVidia card also and in the properties under BUS it says AGP 8x not PCI. Maybe you should flash BIOS.

7. norton850

norton850

Yes it should say AGP8x. Did you install the latest MB chipset drivers?

8. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

i have the same problem. only mine says "PCIx0" Kinda scary, but i get decent performance. My dad has the same card as me, and he gets "AGPx8". I don't get it either. if anyone finds a soulution please let me know too.

9. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

oh also i'm still running on version 77.30 . reason being is when i upgrade version, i either get screen distortion in games or mouse lag (like major 1 second mouse lag). even when i upgrade it always says PCIx0. please let me know.

10. cbs42

cbs42 Thread Starter

No. I have whatever it came with out of the box. Ok, this is the next thing I will try. It kind of scares me to be messing with drivers and/or BIOS flashes, because I've never done them before and I hear you can trash your board pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing. I'll give it a shot though.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
    :)

I'll let you know how the mobo driver upgrade works out.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you checked in the bios to see that Agp card is set for default video and not pci.

12. cbs42

cbs42 Thread Starter

Yes, it's locked on AGP 8X in the BIOS. But thanks for pointing that out, because it's exactly the type of thing I would be likely to overlook!

norton850, if it was possible for me to come through this screen and give you a big sloppy kiss, I would do so right now. I downloaded the newest chipset driver from my mobo manufacturer and ...
    [​IMG]

:D [happy dance] :D

My 3DMark06 score went up by over 50%, and my framerate in my favorite games has nearly doubled! Thanks to everyone here who helped out with suggestions. You guys kick arse.

Before I immerse myself in gaming bliss for a while, I wanted to ask one more question: Are there any other updates that might help me? Is it possible for a mobo BIOS flash to improve my game performance as well, or am I better off leaving it alone for now? 3DMark06 is still reporting that my GPU Core clock speed is 11MHz, which is just weird, so it makes me wonder whether I'm missing some other kind of fundamental update.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Best off leaving Bios alone unless a specific need shows up with a specific cure as an option in a bios flash, and what you are looking for is not likely!

14. brite750

brite750

Yeah thats amazing the differnece you get when you load MB chipset drivers, I'm surprised the pc ran as good as it did, kind of like running your video card without the drivers, very limited functionality.

15. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

i'm gonna have to try this! I have a gigabyte K8 triton with nforce3. any suggestions as to where i can get new drivers? thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice