AGP card, blank screen???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jasonrosegiese

I have an S3 savage 4 AGP card with 32 mB of ram, When I install it, It's bios shows up on start-up, but then the screen goes blank.
I know my AGP slot works, becuase my other video card is an AGP 4X.
Any Ideas??
It doesn't even give me the chance to install the drivers.

This might work ...

Remove your ATI graphics drivers before putting the new card in. You should have the Standard VGA adaptor loaded. It will be in 16 color, 640x480. That will give your new card the best chance of booting into Windows. You should then be able to load the right drivers for your new card.

jasonrosegiese

The Ati card is the one I got when the s3 didn't work. So the ati drivers weren't there to begin with. The only time I got it to boot with the s3 card, was with standard drivers, but after I installed the correct drivers for the card, and it said to restart, it started, but then went blank. When it does this, my monitor shuts down (the green light turns orange)

Sorry about the day off ....
Does the Savage card work in Safe Mode?
If it does, try to set the adaptor to something safe, like 800x600x256 Colors. See if you can get in regular windows that way. Also, make sure you have either a plug n' play monitor or your monitor's driver loaded, not just the "standard monitor".

jasonrosegiese

The drivers for my monitor are loaded. I,m not quite sure how to start in safe-mode, do I use my cd-rom, and boot disk?? I have a new ati card thats better than the s3 anyways, but I'd like to use the s3 in my wifes pc which isn't finished just yet.

To start in safe mode reboot the machine, just after the memory count and before windows starts to load start tapping F5 for win95 F8 or control for win98, from the startup menu choose safe mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online