AGP card confusion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChekYourFace

I have Windows XP. I bought an AGP card today. I have this slot inside my computer that looks exactly like what an AGP slot should look like, from the descriptions I have read. I put the card in to see if it fit, and it did, nice and snug. So I don't see how it could not be an AGP slot. But the manual for the card says I should "install AGP drivers for non-Intel chipset based motherboards." And then it says:

"How to determine what motherboard chipset is present on your system"

1. Right Click My Computer and choose Properties.
2. Click the Device Manager tab (if you have WIndows 2000 or XP then click the Hardware tab). Then scroll to the bottom of the device list.
3: Select System Devices.
4: Scroll through the list of System Devices until you find the listing for the AGP controller.
5: The chipset manufacture's name will appear as the device name."

But I didn't find a single thing called an AGP controller on the list of system devices. Didn't even find anything with AGP in the name. So I'm stuck. What's going on?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
No, you're not stuck. If the card fits and you get a display then its an AGP slot.

What motherboard do you have? If you don't know download Everest and find out. Everest will also tell you what chipset you have. ie. VIA, Intel, NForce, etc. Then go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest chipset or AGP/GART drivers. FOr example if you have a VIA PT880 chipset you'd go to www.viaarena.com to get the latest chipset drivers(all in one driver download). Even if you have an Intel chipset I wopuld still install the latest Intel INF chipset drivers for best operation.

I'd also recommend going to the video card's chipset manufacturer's website, either ATI.com or NVIDIA.com, to download the latest video drivers instead of using the ones that came on the CD. These will be newer and offer potentially better performance and compatibility.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online