1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Driver problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hiltz, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

I installed an Asus geforce 4 ti4200 8x 128 MB v9280 series graphic card on my new computer around mid july. It is a long story to say the least so I ended up buying an AGP ATI radeon 9600 128 Mb graphics card in september and installed that on my computer because Asus said that I needed to get a new graphic card. I tried to locate the geforce ti4200's drivers in the add/remove section from the control panel before I installed the Radeon but I looked everywhere and could not find the drivers that needed to be deleted.

So this is the problem...

My geforce ti4200's drivers are still installed but the radeon 9600 is installed too. When I installed the radeon card it said, "successfully installed" and when I went to the settings and the Bios the only graphic cards shown were the Radeon 9600 as my enabled current graphic card. When I went to play a game of Counter - Strike, it said before loading " 2 drivers have been found this may not allow the game to function correcty" . Since I can't get my Bios to show up on the screen, I don't know what to do.

If my geforce's drivers are confusing my computer since I now have a radeon 9600 in the agp driver, this might be the reason why my computer's monitor screen is black and no bios comes up when I press f8 or control, and the monitor's LED light is blinking green. Is there a way to fix this?

2. mobo

mobo

what you should have done was delete the video card and its drivers from device manager. Reboot then install the new card..

3. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

I tried to delete the drivers from device manager, it wasn't there. My screen is black so I can't see anything. I put the radeon cd into the cd-rom drive but nothing happened, no window for installing it came up.

4. dai

dai

when you boot up press f8 to bring up the boot option screen and choose start in vga mode
    go into the device manager and delete the video cards and reboot
    start in vga mode again and when windows finishes reinstalling your video card then reinstall your drivers,use this method everytime you upgrade your video drivers

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You actually need to go into Safe Mode to remove your old NVidia drivers.

To get into Safe Mode, restart the computer and Press F8 just as the Windows 98 Logo screen comes up (or press and CTRL keys just before the Windows Logo Screen comes up). Select Safe Mode and then go into the Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager. Take out everthing except the ATI Radeon 9600 card drivers under Display Adaptors.

You can also use this program to remove most of the Nvidia files left around. Its called Detonator Destroyer: http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/index1.shtml

Theres also a few file in startup related to Nvidia that may still need to be removed. Download HijackThis and have it create a log, and then post it here: http://spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det

6. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

I can't get into the Bios setup and the windows logo doesn't appear. All i get is a black screen with the monitor's led light blinking green, my computer's fans turn on but the cd -rom drive's led light is blinking green.so I can't get intop safe mode. When my computer was working, I went into the device manager and display adapter and I didn't see anything about my geforce ti4200, it just had the Ati Radeno 9600 listed, I did this when my computer was working for one day before it started to act up again.

7. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

Also.. I can't even get my cd-rom drive to open. So I can't use it.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bios is accessed prior to the os loading drivers. If you cannot enter the bios, there is something else wrong. I would clear cmos [the bios] then try booting up. Remove the vid card and reseat, it may be loose. After you have done these things there is a program you can download from rage3D; it removes all vid drivers both nvidia and ati. Now install the ati driver. Note to use the latest ati driver you must have DX9 installed.

9. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

How do I download the rage3d thingy from the ati site when my computer doesnt work?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First thing is to get a display on the monitor. If you never see anything on the screen then its not a driver/software problem but a hardware problem. Does the computer beep? Try your old Video card and/or make sure the RAM hasn't been knocked loose.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice