1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Driver Update: Mfg. or Windows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark4man, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

People,

My video card is an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420; & I've had some performance problems lately related to a digital audio multitracking app upgrade (SONAR XL 2.2 > SONAR4.) Because of a more graphic intensive design, normal functions (scrolling, navigation, playback, etc.) bogg down redraw & slow overall operation.

Wanting to have the latest video driver, I went to the nVidia site & downloaded v6.6.9.3. This was three weeks ago.

Today, Windows Update kicked in; & a scan of my system revealed I needed the latest Windows video driver for the nVidia GeForece4 MX 420...v52.16 ???

So my questions are:

1) First of all...why the difference (in #'s) between the two versions? (are they different?)
    2) Does the Windows Update function for this area kick in because my machine came with this video card from Dell...as installed in the new machine? (or...does it somehow recognize the Dell OEM XP OS?)
    3) Why is Windows prompting me to download this driver anyway...doesn't it recognize the driver from nVidia as the latest version?
    4) Which is a better driver (Mfg. or Windows)?

Thanks,

mark4man
    Dell Dimension 8250 / Windows XP
    Intel 850E Motherboard/Chipset
    Intel P4 2.53GHz CPU (512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    1024 MB PC1066 RDRAM
    Ultra 60GB Primary HD / Single Volume (OS, Apps, Files/Folders.)
    Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 80GB Secondary HD / Single Volume (Audio Data only)
    nVidia 64MB GEFORCE4 MX420 AGP
    Echo Audio Layla 24/96 PCI Audio Interface
    Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP Plug-In System
    SONAR XL 2.2
    SONAR4
    WaveLab 5

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I almost never use Windows Update to get driver updates. The latest and best source for a driver is from the manufacturer. In this case its NVIDIA. Microsoft does not always have the latest driver listed in Windows Update and their method of determining version numbers is badly flawed. The drivers on Windows Udpate are still supplied by the manufacturer(NVIDIA).

Your new driver is 66.93, the other is 52.16 so your current driver is newer. Now newer does not mean better. You can choose to install the MS provided driver and see if it resolves your issues.

Nvidia also lists older drivers for download, users of older cards sometimes find they work better then new drivers which are aimed more at new video cards, the 52.16 is listed there as well:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Also, see if you have DirectX 9.0c installed. Go to Start -> Run -> DXDIAG and see what version it lists. You can also run through some video and sound diagnostics there. DirectX should be listed as a Windows Udpate but not a Critical one, run the Custom scan at the Windows update site.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

I never use Windows Update for driver updates. More often than not, the drivers it provides have been broken. In the case of a TV tuner card, the Windows Update drivers were missing a vital driver file and didn't even work, the makers of the TV tuner card knew about this and were a bit confused about what Microsoft were up to (they hadn't supplied the drivers to Microsoft in that state). Just use the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia, they DO make the chips afterall.

4. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Thanks people... (y)

Triple6,

Now that's good to know. Was looking for that & coudn't remember how to get there. I do have the latest version, tho.

Thanks for the info, all (unfortunately, I don't think anything is going to help SONAR4. I opened Task Manager to check Process usage for both apps; & v4 was using 256,987 KB's...more than twice that of v2.2.)

mark4man

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice