1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP mode only 2x

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvoptimus, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Although both the motherboard and my video card expressly state that they support AGP 4x mode, the only options in the BIOS are 1x or 2x.
    The Mainboard is a Shuttle AK32A, with a very recent BIOS version ( Sept. 29, 2002 ) and I have tried updating to the latest Nvidia Drivers but without result. Within the Advanced Chipset Features section of the BIOS, the AGP mode only allows 1x or 2x- the Manual says the choice should be 1x,2x or 4x.
    Is there some setting I am overlooking? Is there something else I can try?

2. mtbird

mtbird

Did you see a setting in your bios for AGP 4x Mode ? This should be set to enabled. Many times this will be set to disabled as a default.
    Also, have you installed the 4 in 1 drivers for the motherboard and set the video in turbo mode ?

3. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Thanks for answering! Here's the problem: Sadly the section of the BIOS I described before called "Advanced Chipset Features" is the only place to change the AGP mode and the 4x option is simply absent on my system. According to the manual the choice should be there...but it isnt!
    I've tried installing the VIA 4 in 1 drivers several times but that doesn't help either. In VIA Service Pack 4.40 there is no option to set the video in "turbo mode". I read this before and it confused me.
    When you choose to install the AGP VxD Driver the next screen prompts you to either: Install AGP 4x/133 driver or
    Uninstall AGP 4x/133 driver

after choosing install, it prompts you to reboot. There is no option regarding video modes. After installing the VIA AGP driver, the BIOS still doesn't allow for 4x mode.
    Any ideas out there?

4. mtbird

mtbird

This is very strange :confused: I'm running a shuttle board with the 4.40 drivers. It does give me the option of installing in turbo mode.
    If you are saying that there is not even a listing for 4x mode, then I would think the board is faulty. It could possibly be not identifying the chipset correctly. I know that there were some problems with other chipsets and NV drivers, but that isn't the same as what you have.
    Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Debe

5. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. This is very frustrating. I have submitted an inquiry to Shuttle itself...but I am not holding my breath, so I would appreciate any feedback from anyone else who has some ideas as well.
    It's hard to believe that the board is faulty. It's brand new (I just installed it) and it's not showing any other signs of not working properly. The chipset is KT266A. Do you really get another screen when you install the VIA AGP VxD driver???
    I even tried the 4 in 1 version 4.43 from Via's website...there is just the option to install or uninstall AGP 4x/133...nothing else.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice