1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP/PCIe Mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunkPyro912, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PunkPyro912

PunkPyro912 Thread Starter

Hey all...i was just lookin for a motherboard, preferrably Asus, that had both AGP 8x and PCIe 16x slots. Im generally new to computer hardware and the such so if this sounds like a stupid questoin sry :eek: If neone could get me like a link to a place where it is or a name or info or nething at all i wuold appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

There is no such thing. You can get motherboards that have both AGP and PCIe x16 slots, but the AGP slot is run from the PCI (standard, not PCIe) bus, and so is incredibly slow (slower than the very first AGP spec released in 1998 or so). AGP 8x and PCIe x16 are mutually exclusive.

3. 4steve44

4steve44

He's right! no one would make a board like that :eek: PCI-E16X will make all AGP cards absolete. The bandwidth for the new PCI-E is 3 times that of AGP. ;)

4. PunkPyro912

PunkPyro912 Thread Starter

so you think its worthwhile investing in PCIe instead of AGP right now? If i get a PCIe mobo, i need to find a good ATI graphics card with PCIe BUS...ne help?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The ATI card with PCI express is easy to find. They make and sell quite a few with the tops being the X850XT. Big bucks though. They also make an X600, and on down. Check newegg.com under ati cores and you'll find plenty in many different ranges.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice