1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Slot in 486 M/B?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apakhira, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

I was recently looking at my old 486 M/B running a 486 DX-2 at 80 Mhz. (Overclocked from 66 Mhz.). I noticed that it has three brown slots almost like AGP Slots, but they were placed at the back of the ISA Slots, so I think they can't be expansion slots.What are they?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A blast from the past! :) Those are VESA Local Bus slots, the first attempt at a faster bus than the old ISA bus. They basically allow connection directly to the processor data bus, and were very touchy in real life. I just tossed the last of my VESA LB cards a month or so ago. :D

3. gws226

gws226

Hey thats a great overclock for that chip (21%). I remember people would be bragging if they 10mhz extra out of those things.

You must be water-cooling!

4. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

Then I suppose that the VESA LB Slots are an attempt between the ISA and PCI slots.Right?But, how do you insert external peripherals into these cards (they are placed at the back)?

I overclocked the 486 without any special cooling- Serious!
    I used the FSB for overclocking (40x2, the actual being 33.33x2)
    Btw my country is a hot one.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, it was in the same era as the EISA bus, that was the one that Compaq was pushing back then. The EISA bus was certainly more robust than the VLB, but it was also more expensive to implement. Finally PCI came to rescue us from the bus wars until AGP and the communications riser came along to muddy the waters again! :D

6. hammer61

hammer61

they are about 12" long have both isa and vesa male edge and plug in both slots.At least the video cards did.

7. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

Thanx :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice