1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Slot Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soopafly, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soopafly

soopafly Thread Starter

hi..

i just recently bought a new case (case )

a motherboard (albatron KX400 -8XV)

a processor (AMD XP 2.8ghz)

and a PNY 128MB DDR AGP 8X Video Card with nVidia's Verto GeForce FX 5200 3D Chip

so i installed the mobo and the hd and everything else the way i should

so i plug in the power and plug in the monitor cable... and i boot up.. i hear everything whirring and i see the fans working... but the monitor says "no signal"

i was wondering what could be causing this...

i tried using my old Nvidia TNT2 Riva AGP card in the AGP slot, and i got teh same "no signal" message...

is this a motherboard problem?? or is this a problem of another kind?

i would appreciate all the help you can offer.. thank you

2. brianF

brianF

I take it there is no os installed, do you here a beep indicating the post completed.
    Try booting it with only processor, memory, video card, will it post.
    Are you sure the motherboard is jumpered correctly for the processor

3. soopafly

soopafly Thread Starter

i am using my old harddrive with windows 2000 professional installed.

yes, the motherboard is jumpered correctly. ive checked the jumpers quite a few times

the fan on the graphics card isnot working... does this mean that the agp slot is "broken" or somethings wrong with it?
    i am considering returning the motherboard, because my trusty old TNT2 Riva isnt even working with the motherboard

4. brianF

brianF

try disconnecting the hard drive and booting it, win2k isn't going to like that motherboard change at all

The fan should be working as long as the slot gets power, something is not right

5. soopafly

soopafly Thread Starter

ok

a friend of mine reccomended installing the drivers onto the hd first (he had the same problem a while back), but that did nothing to help me

so now the drivers are installed on the HD, and i still get a "no signal" message on my monitor

i dont know what the problem is at all....

both the new video card and the old video card do not work on the AGP slot...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The No Signal error comes up way before any O/S even comes into play - hence it is not a sofware issue.

Also, not likely a video card problem if you've tried two different video cards.

Firstly, Try a different monitor or check the cable and pins on the monitor - it may have been damaged - the No Signal error means the monitor is not recieving anything from the computer.

Next,double, then triple check all jumpers - FSB, Multiplier, CLEAR CMOS and any others. If ok, try resetting the CMOS by using the CLR CMOS jumper - put in back in the normal after afew seconds.

If this fails take the computer to the bare minimum with parts - The CPU, Video card, and one stick of RAM and set it up outside the case. Do not attach any drives or any PCI cards or any LEDS. Connect the powersupply, Powerswitch and speaker and try it. make note of any beeps - these beeps can indicate the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/156787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice