1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP Video Card not working on new MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MajorTruth41, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MajorTruth41

MajorTruth41 Thread Starter

CPU, MB, Bios, or Video Card details are not relevant, as I have seen this problem on numerous boards with differing set-ups - but have yet to see a solution. :(

I tried my working Matrox Vid Card from my old system. I have also tried a working ATI Vid Card from work and no go.

However my old Trident PCI card works fine.

With only the AGP Card in, the system just beeps, notifying of the display problem. With the AGP Card and PCI card in, the system boots up using the PCI card.

On the AGP slot there is a little white latch, similar to those used for seating Ram. I was not able to secure the latch on either of the AGP cards due to that part of the card being to thick/big. Would this have any effect, or is it just for cosmetic purposes ?

Any help would be much appreciated !

2. zeddy

zeddy

The VGA card details might very well be relevant if its an older 3v card rather than the 1.5v versions that new mobos support.

3. MajorTruth41

Nope, I would guess my Vid Card is newer than the MB I just got.

There has to be a universal answer for this.

Like I said I have seen this with all different types of set-ups.

This is the board...

ECS K7S5A PRO
    SIS 735 CHIPSET ULTRA
    ATA100
    ATX FORM FACTOR
    1xAGP(4X)
    5xPCI
    1xAMR
    2xDDR/2xDIMM
    W/LAN
    USB 2.0
    AC97 AUDIO

This is my primary Vid Card...

Matrox Millennium G400
    256-bit DualBus graphics chip
    Explosive 3D, 2D, and DVD performance
    DualHeadĀ® display technology
    Superior DVD and TV output
    3D Environment-Mapped Bump Mapping
    Vibrant Color Quality Rendering
    UltraSharp DAC of up to 360 MHz
    3D Rendering Array Processor
    16 MB of memory

4. dai

dai

if the slider is not sliding over to lock in the card it sounds like the card is not seating properly,it is not cosmetic

5. MajorTruth41

Thank You.

I just saw this on another board too...

"If the AGP retention clip can't be locked, the card isn't seated deep enough in the slot (assuming your card's connector has a L-shaped piece like this).

Try taking the board out of the case and work the AGP in and out of the slot a few times with a newspaper under the motherboard. You should hear a destinct "clonk" when the card hits the bottom of the AGP slot. You may have to push quite hard the first couple of times, be careful not to bend the AGP card. The mobo can take it fine if there is a solid flat surface under it (like a newspaper on a desk)."

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice