1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whitewolftoo, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitewolftoo

whitewolftoo Thread Starter

Can anyone help me get my video card to work with my computer? I just bought an S3 Savage4 AGP 3D GUI/Video Accelerator card. I have a K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330) ATX VA Mainboard. I'm using Windows98se and have 256megs of ram. I built this system myself. I tried uninstalling the driver files for my S3 Savage4 PCI video card and then I shut down and removed that card. I installed the new AGP card and turned the computer on. It booted to the first screen where it checks the ram memory and it just stopped there. I rebooted and tried to get to the CMOS setup by holding down the DEL key, it just went to a black screen and stopped. I removed the new card, replaced the old card, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers for it. I shut down, removed the old card, installed the new AGP card and started up. The same thing happened again. I tried to contact the motherboard mfg. but they want answer my e-mails. Can anyone tell me how to get it to recognize my new AGP card or some place where I can get help? Thanks, Mike in Texas.:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

On reboot, enter your bios, set assign irq for vga enabled.
    Assign 64meg of memory to agp aperture size

3. brianF

brianF

You could also try going to device manager, remove the current pci card, then shut down and install the new card.

Or change over to std vga drivers in display properties, shutdown, and install the new card.

to change over drivers go to start/settings/control panel/display/settings tab/advanced/adapter/change button, follow prompts until you see check box for show compatible, check it, scroll all the way to the top, choose standard vga drivers, hit next, follow prompts, shut down, install card, reboot.

4. whitewolftoo

I have already tried that and the settings in CMOS are already set to the one you suggested.:confused:

5. brianF

brianF

6. whitewolftoo

Alright, I have downloaded the 4in1 driver files and installed them. Do I need to uninstall my current driver files before I install the AGP card or leave them and install it first?:)

7. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Right from the horses mouth (From FAQs at where you got your download) Good luck, Marturo
    PS: think I will go download this patch it looks like a good one.

Answer:
    No. Simply download and install the drivers over the current ones.

8. whitewolftoo

Ok, I didn't uninstall anything. I just shut down and removed the old card. Then I installed the new AGP card and turn the computer on. It froze at the same place and when I took the new card back out and put the old one in I started the computer agan and the driver files for my old card were gone. I had to reinstall them to get my screen back to the right display. Can anyone think of anything else?:(

9. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Do you have another computer that you can test this card in? I know that the Via Chip set is having some problems with certian hardware. That's not unusual with trying to make 3rd party hardware fly. You have done all the right things to try and fix your incompatability problems. What I am saying is just last week I put in an HP CD-RW drive in a ladies Computer and after I put in my test CD (new CD-R) and started the drive, it sounded like a garbage disposal. She sent it back with the chewed up CD still inside and they sent her a new one that works just fine. If you can test the card maybe on a friends machine, at least you would know if you were wasting your time on something that should take less than an hour to install and configure. I have the Abit KT7-A using the ATI Expert 128 AGP and have had no trouble with it. I did go to download the 4 n 1 driver upgrade, but chose not to because I am not having any troubles. With mass produced inexpensive electronics I have run accross bad MotherBoards, I/O cards, CDs, and after you do everything you can with settings and patches or work arounds it's time to look at the hardware. If you can't test the card you could return it for another brand or wait for some more posts someone may have found the fix for this card. Marturo

10. whitewolftoo

Thanks guy at least I know I'm doing everything right. I will try and find another computer to test it in. I can't return it because I bought it on e-bay. It was supposed to be new and had the apparence of it, although the seal on the bubble pack did open without having to rip it like you usually do. It's probably just the fact that it's made by S3. Ihave had prblems with the S3 card I have in now and just thought it was this card but I'm begining to think it's all their products. If you try and contact them they want answer you either.:mad: Thanks for trying anyway. Mike in Texas

11. brianF

brianF

S3 has gone out of the consumer video card market, you would be better off getting a card from a viable company, either nvidir or ATI are top dogs now.

12. whitewolftoo

BrianF: Can you tell me how makes the Nvidir video card that you referr to? I can't find any information on it by that name.:)

13. stanggt2

stanggt2

Nividia makes chips for the GeForce and TNT, but I think S3 are making video cards again

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice