1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AGP vs 4xAGP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbsan, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbsan

bbsan Thread Starter

I've finally begun building my 'real' computer - glad to be rid of the Frankenstein thing I'm currently using. You may recall the MoBo is warped.

Anyway, on to my new computer:

I went to seat the video card and the slot sits too far back for my AGP card. MoBo manual says I need a 4xAGP card.

Aside from the physical shape, clearly the 4x is longer, what are the other differences between AGP and 4xAGP?

Yes, I could put an old card in a PCI slot, but I don't want to.

Intel 845E Chipset
    2.80Ghz
    4x AGP slot
    ATX (you knew that)

Thanks, kids. As always, I pay in chocolate.

bb

2. joemcse

joemcse

AGP2x offers 533 MB/s, by transferring data at the rising as well as the falling edge of the clock. The new addition called AGP4x doubles this bandwidth another time to 1066 MB/s.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The voltages are also different. It won't work. New boards have a 1.5v slot, and the old ones were 3.3v.
    If the card doesn't line up with the board installed, consider it a red flag.

4. bbsan

bbsan Thread Starter

Thanks, kids. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Right, if the card doesn't line up, it won't fit anyway, so there's no mistake there. I love these idiot proof gadgets, just wish I'd read up on the diffrences in cards, B4 I bought the thing.

Any other surprises I need to know about? I read in another thread that I might have to reinstall XP. That pains me.

5. bbsan

bbsan Thread Starter

Okay, I'm studying TigerDirect for a new card.

All the AGP cards are 3 slotted. Has the AGP card evolved that much? Can I assume the 3 slotted AGP is now standard?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes, pretty much. They have universal slots. If you look where the card snaps in, you will most likely have only 1 divider but the cards are made to be backwards compatable.

7. bbsan

bbsan Thread Starter

Ah. Okay.

Problem is, the old card is about a half inch too short for the board, if I managed to seat it, the bracket sits about half an inch INSIDE the board. It almost looks like the socket is backwards.

Oh well, for all this trouble, I should just buy a new card.

Thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice