1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Agp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urs, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urs

urs Thread Starter

i have few question regarding AGP

1)is the AGP slot brown in color?
    2)if it is brown in color then i dont have AGP slot so does this mean that i have an onboard AGP
    3)if it is an onboard AGP how do i find how much MB it is? and can i upgrade and onboard AGP

2. exocet

exocet

Hello there. To answer your questions:

1) Typically the AGP slot is brown in color, but not in all cases. Gigabyte boards for instance have AGP slots that are day-glo green color. So color doesn't tell you much in some cases.

2) The AGP slot is positioned closer to the center of the board, farther away from the edge then the PCI slots (beige or white in color typically). The AGP slot is slightly shorter in length than the PCI slot, and positioned about in inch farther towards the center of the board from the edge than the PCI slot. You know you have onboard video (video thats integrated into the board) by looking at your motherboard along the side where the ports are. It will be blue in color, and have 15 female pins (or holes rather--3 rows with 5 holes each).

3) Onboard video actually shares your system's RAM--this is usually referred to as the AGP aperture. Suppose you have 256 megs of system memory for example, and you set the AGP aperture to 32 megs. This will make your available system memory to be 224 megs, because you just reserved 32 megs for video memory. Onboard video cannot really be upgraded--the best you can do is to keep it updated using the latest video driver for your motherboard, or purchase a video card that will be compatible with your motherboard.

I hope this answers your questions.

3. urs

urs Thread Starter

how can i make it share with my RAM
    i mean where do i have to make these settings
    i have 192MB ram

4. urs

urs Thread Starter

hello
    any one who can help me making AGP aperture

5. Rockn

Rockn

Exocet.....the onboard memory does not always share the system memory. Some MB manufacturers do this and others don't. URS....you need to look in your manual for the BIOS settings to see if this situation actually exists. You haven't given anyone the make or model of your motherboard so making that determination is pretty much impossible.

6. urs

urs Thread Starter

Operating System : Windows 98 SE

System Model : Asset Tag: 0123ABC

Processor a : 500 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
    Board: ZIDA Instant810C 1.0
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 05/20/99

i got this information Belarc software i hope this is fine for u
    or u want to know something else

7. exocet

exocet

I stand corrected then. Obviously i've been around the ones that do share system memory =)

8. urs

urs Thread Starter

i was just going through website regarding AGP aperture
    all these sites mention some settings under BIOS
    so i just had look at my BIOS
    i came across "Reserved Memory Size" under PCI/PnP Setup
    its setting is disabled and it has option 16K,32K and 64K
    is this is the right place to make changes for AGP apeure

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice