1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

agp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeheathuk, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeheathuk

joeheathuk Thread Starter

trying to buy new graphics card. but was just wonderin what the differrence between the agp slots (x2 x4 etc)? and how do i find out what type of slot my motherboard has?

2. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Check the specs for your motherboard. There is AGP X8 out now. From what I have seen a motherboard that supports X8 will also support a X4 AGP card. A X8 card however won't work in a Mother board that only supports X4 AGP, the voltages are different.Desktop Boards AGP 2/4

3. joeheathuk

joeheathuk Thread Starter

how do i find out what agp speed my motherboard supports?

4. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Like I said, check the specs for your motherboard. Look it the manual that came with it or look it up online. If you don't have a manual you need to know thw part number for your mobo. It should be stamped on it somewhere. Once you have that go to the manufactuers web site and look it up. I don't think you can tell just by looking at the motherboard if it's x4 or x8. The best you can do by looking is tell wether it has an AGP slot or not. I have never seen a X8 slot my motherboard only supports x4. :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    AGP 8X is backward compatible to AGP 4X, or any AGP that runs at 0.8/1.5 Volts but not at 3.3 Volts as in the older 1/2X AGP slots. The single largest difference from the users view is increased bandwidth for high-end video cards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice