1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

agpCPQ.sys on old ACER netbook/WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by missred, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missred

missred Thread Starter

Hi TechGuys
    Here is an oldy but goody and is kicking my behind. As with so many others, my Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook running WinXP (sorry dont know SP; I think it is WIn32) crashed on it's way out of hibernation and hangs after loading agpCPQ.sys.
    I tried to reload WinXP SP2 from my CDs but the process hangs at final blue screen saying Windows is loading ... at bottom.
    When selecting the f2 automated repair option from the CD the screen asks for a floppy install disk. WTF? I have no floppy or CD drive, am using external CD drive to run install CDs.
    There are no other options offered with the CDs. I have tried both regular XP and XP Pro CDs.
    I cant get to the BIOS from F2 screen when starting the machine w/out CD. All greyed out.
    I cant get it to start in Safe or any other mode. If I do get to a windows screen it just hangs. I left it run all night just in case.
    I have taken off the battery and then restarted with power only; no dice
    Swapped out the power supply, no difference
    I did read something on the MS page that says that WIn2000 machines had the same problem, it is a graphics driver causes the problem coming out of hibernation. You can get a hotfix from MS but not for XP, only 2000
    I have access to chromebook (you cannot install anything and runs Linux) and a super old Macbook Pro to try and create a fix
    My thinking is that if it is a graphics driver causing the issue, maybe reloading the system isnt needed, but I cant get anything to happen any way. I have recently backed up my files so I dont mind reformatting but my CDs hang at starting Windows blue screen, as I mentioned. I am not provided an option to reload the system files.
    I saw this link :http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ in another topic on this forum but not sure if there is help here or not.
    Any suggestions of what I can try? I do not want to buy another laptop and everything else seems to be working fine on it given its age.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As you have backed up your files and data.
    Try restoring the netbook back to factory settings.
    ALT + F10 when pressed at start up should bring up the Acer eRecovery environment.

At the Acer eRecovery screen
    Choose the Recovery Actions - select Next.
    Choose the Restore option.
    There may be two to choose from, System Restore/Recovery - Reinstall Application/Drivers.
    Choose System Restore/Recovery.

3. missred

missred Thread Starter

Thanks for playing harmonica man!
    Uh, yeah, I should have mentioned that when I try alt+f10 nothing happens. Just goes into regular boot menu. I have tried both holding down and then pressing the Start button, and alternately pressing Start and then alt-f10. Sigh.

4. blues_harp28

5. missred

missred Thread Starter

Thank you for the links! I will burn the CD on my Mac and pray ;)

6. blues_harp28

Ok - keep us updated.

7. missred

missred Thread Starter

OK! Happy Saturday! I just ran the basic and extended tests and both PASSED so HD is ok? I see under advanced tests the option to perform Full Erase - wondering if that is a bit drastic or even what I would need to do here to re-install WinXP from the CD.

8. blues_harp28

The Bios is on the motherboard not the hard drive and if you cannot access the Bios ["greyed out"] - somethings not a Ok.
    Do you have a Linux Cd - will it boot from that?

9. missred

missred Thread Starter

No, sadly no Linux CD, just winXP regulah and Pro ;)

10. blues_harp28

I would try downloading Linux - burn to a Cd and see if it will boot from it.
    Apart from that, I am out of suggestions!
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

11. missred

missred Thread Starter

Thanks for the link and the suggestion! I am curious tho as to what I will be able to accomplish from booting into Linux. I am unfamiliar w/ the OS and dont know what I will "see" once booted, and how I can then play w/ the BIOS etc.

12. blues_harp28

13. missred

missred Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I am unable to create the USB boot since the creation process requires "Windows XP/Vista/7 or WINE to create the USB" I only have a Mac to do any creating so to speak. I will check the 2nsd link now. The acer forum was useless.
    So I am back to the previous question - are you familiar enough with teh SeaTool to advise if the Full Erase option might give me another shot at reinstalling? Of course if it is the bios/motherboard issue reinstalling would not fix the problem-correct? right now I am looking at an expensive frisbee.

14. blues_harp28

This link is for the ISO file to boot from a Cd - not USB.
    Download - Linux Mint
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

The fact the the Bios is 'greyed out' - would be my first question on the Acer Netbook forum.
    What is Bios?
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

The 'Full Erase option', I have never used from SeaGate.
    But I think you have Hardware problems and that is what's stopping any installation.

15. missred

missred Thread Starter

Ok yay! Thanks for the explanation and your patience. I have plenty of homework now and will report back.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!