1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AHCI BIOS not installed & Continuous restart loop - Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by smik, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smik

smik Thread Starter

After a Windows 7 update today my computer turns on, goes past the welcome screen, then shows up with an error reading "AHCI BIOS not installed" and something about clicking on CTRL+S to enter setup and then restarts. This keeps on going continuously until I shut it down. I've read suggestions on forums to run chkdsk but I can't get as far as the Advanced Boot Menu; I can get to the setup and regular boot menu and when I boot from my hard drive the computer restarts.

Any suggestions?

I partitioned my hard drive a week ago and installed Ubuntu on it. However, I think the error is due to my update today.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

AHCI is an advanced controller interface for sata drives and it
    is usually a setting for the raid controller.
    If you are not using it,might want to disable it in the bios setup.
    If you are using it,I can try to find the registry hack that enables
    it in windows without reinstalling,but you still need to see if you
    can disable it and get into windows first.
    Set it to sata or ide,whichever is available.
    Not raid or ahci.

3. smik

smik Thread Starter

Alright, I have a better idea of what's going on. It seems that every time I access Windows 7 it somehow does something to GRUB, which leads to the scenario described above (restarting after "AHCI not installed" screen).

I know this because I fixed GRUB and everything started working fine again. However, once I entered Windows 7 and restarted my computer I started experiencing the same problem.

Any idea how to prevent Windows 7 from tampering with GRUB?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice