1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AHCI drivers for XP on Dell Studio 1737 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leejosepho, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leejosepho

leejosepho Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I have done my homework and I am dealing with a situation where no specific XP AHCI drivers have ever been written for the Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Serial ATA Storage Controllers in my Dell Studio 1737 Laptop. Trying the 32-bit Vista AHCI drivers caused an immediate BSOD...and it just really bugs me to be using IDE mode with my new SSD! I think Win7 and Ubuntu might be ignoring that setting in this multi-boot machine and using AHCI anyway, but I am not certain of that. I just know Ubuntu had some trouble during "Live" and installation but has since had no trouble there at all.

I know there are differently-branded machines of the same vintage that *do* have XP AHCI drivers for those controllers, but I have no idea where to look to try to find them.

Any thoughts or suggestions here other than to ditch XP? At least for me at 65, that is not likely to ever happen...and neither will I ever have Win10! I just spent these past two months getting three Win10 machines tamed-and-controlled to be what I consider child-friendly and child-safe for my grandchildren, and I hope I never again ever see a Win10 screen.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Your computer has no drivers or OS available for Windows XP. Your only solution is to install Windows Vista or Windows 7.

3. leejosepho

leejosepho Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    XP will run on just about anything and I actually already have it running perfectly -- using it to post here right now -- on this 1737. The fact that Dell does not happen to provide any XP AHCI drivers for this particular motherboard is irrelevant as far as running XP is concerned since IDE mode is available in BIOS. But what I am looking for is someone who knows where to get and how to add AHCI drivers that will work in place of (or alongside, actually) the IDE drivers I am already using. I have read about making a custom OS-installation disk with the AHCI drivers added, but I would first need to find the drivers in order to even do that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you also tried here:
    http://pilot.search.dell.com/windows xp ahci driver

NOTE: Strange thing. I was able to see the drivers when I posted this link and now I checked it and there are not listed in there. On the dell website on search put windows xp ahci drivers and you will be able to find all kinds of downloads for this item.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice