Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHCI drivers for XP on Dell Studio 1737 laptop

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I have done my homework and I am dealing with a situation where no specific XP AHCI drivers have ever been written for the Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Serial ATA Storage Controllers in my Dell Studio 1737 Laptop. Trying the 32-bit Vista AHCI drivers caused an immediate BSOD...and it just really bugs me to be using IDE mode with my new SSD! I think Win7 and Ubuntu might be ignoring that setting in this multi-boot machine and using AHCI anyway, but I am not certain of that. I just know Ubuntu had some trouble during "Live" and installation but has since had no trouble there at all.

I know there are differently-branded machines of the same vintage that *do* have XP AHCI drivers for those controllers, but I have no idea where to look to try to find them.

Any thoughts or suggestions here other than to ditch XP? At least for me at 65, that is not likely to ever happen...and neither will I ever have Win10! I just spent these past two months getting three Win10 machines tamed-and-controlled to be what I consider child-friendly and child-safe for my grandchildren, and I hope I never again ever see a Win10 screen.

#3 · (Edited)
XP will run on just about anything and I actually already have it running perfectly -- using it to post here right now -- on this 1737. The fact that Dell does not happen to provide any XP AHCI drivers for this particular motherboard is irrelevant as far as running XP is concerned since IDE mode is available in BIOS. But what I am looking for is someone who knows where to get and how to add AHCI drivers that will work in place of (or alongside, actually) the IDE drivers I am already using. I have read about making a custom OS-installation disk with the AHCI drivers added, but I would first need to find the drivers in order to even do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.