1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AIM 5.9 vs GAIM vs. trillian

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Sphinx, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Ok i have been using AIM 5.9 for a quite a while, and it wasn't until recently i noticed it has a HUGE!!! memory leak. You can see its mem usage shoot up , and simply maximizing the buddy list, minimizing it, and then opening it again will decrease the aim.exe usage back to around 4MB,

When i was doing direct connect transfers, it would go up to 250mb!!!

So i decided to give GAIM a try. It's nice.. but its mem usage is still around 20mb. And also I dont like how spaced apart the buddies are - I want to be able to see almost my whole buddy list without having to scroll down.

I havent yet used trillian.

Any comments or advice?

Thanks

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    trillian is great. i like aim also. never had a problem with either one.

3. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

aim is bloated, I stopped using it a long time ago
    trillian I've used for quite a while and it works ok (the free version lacks video and sound capabalities) conecting to yahoo, ICQ, AIM and MSN
    Gaim, if you are using that then it is outdated. The most recent iteration is called Pidgin. I've just started giving that a try and it works ok (seems to get more stable connections than trillian). Isn't as pretty as trillian, lacks skinability and like the free version of trillian you don't get video or voice capabilities with it.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

i tried gaim but i didnt like that you had to install GDK+ for it to work, plus I also didn't like that configuring the appearance was not really an option. I just didn't like the layout. Also seemed to use up 30mb memory while trillian seems to stay under 10 most of the time.

The thing i did like about AIM was that it was pretty simple (5.9), and it was quick, buddy list loaded instantly, etc. I would have kept it but it has a horrible memory leak.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice