1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AIM Crashes XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nwolf, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nwolf

nwolf Thread Starter

I am having the strangest problem with AOL Instant Messenger. I am writing to you all because you and me both know that AOL doesn't care if I'm having problems with their software. AIM has worked fine with me up until a few days ago. I didn't install anything or uninstall anything, this problem just seems to happen for no reason. I am using AIM version 5.2.3292, the latest version at the moment. Whenever I click the icon to start AIM nothing happens. My computer freezes up and programs stop responding. Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't even do anything! I've tried uninstalling the software, restarting, and reinstalling. The problem keeps reoccuring. I have run scandisk, checked my computer for viruses, defragmented my drive, used Norton SystemWorks 2003 to fix any problems it finds, run adaware, and spybot search and destroy; all to no avail. When I run AIM this is the error in the event viewer log of the administrative control panel:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10010
    Date: 9/26/2003
    Time: 1:44:52 PM
    User: WOLFNDELL\Nick
    Computer: WOLFNDELL
    Description:
    The server {BAA8FB92-D1E7-4181-B0EE-94DA3329F7C0} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate this. Thank-you very much in advance for your time.
    -Nick

2. PaulV

PaulV

Hi nwolf

Try uninstalling it, then searching for an AIM folder in Program Files of your hard drive, if its there delete and then reinstall the software.

Paul V

3. nwolf

nwolf Thread Starter

I did that and it still does the same thing.

4. PaulV

PaulV

Hi Nwolf,
    Two more suggestions for ya'
    1) Use the XP CD and do a "repair" installation -- you don't need to reformat to do that. This will give you a clean installation just in case the AIM file has hosed something else
    2) Download a fresh copy of AIM
    Save the file on your hard drive, do not try to install from the AIM web site.

Paulv

5. JimZ

JimZ

HEY,

I am also having a problem with my AIM. Whenever I exit it crashes my PC. I get the same error message.

6. nwolf

nwolf Thread Starter

I had to reformat my HD and reinstall windows in order to fix the problem.

7. JimZ

JimZ

damn, i don't want to do that. Thanks for the tip though, I am going to try another way to fix this problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!