AIM direct connect?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PunkPyro912

ever since i built this new rig, i haven't been able to direct connect on AIM. I have firewall on but AIM is listed and checked and as exception, and i've even tried doing it without firewall...and it still doesnt work. Any suggestions?

Please help ASAP

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Hi PunkPyro912 :)

Right click on the AIM icon in your taskbar.
Select Preferences
On the left side, highlight over Sign On/Off
Click on the Connection button
Click on Auto Configure
Hit OK

If that doesn't resolve it:
Go back to the same place as before
Instead of hitting Auto Configure,
To the left have the following typed in:
Host: login.oscar.aol.com
Port: 5190

Let us know if this helped.

PunkPyro912

i tried the auto configure and it didnt work....even though it said it successfully found a server to connect to.......and i also tried to put in what you said, but it was already at those current settings...any other ideas?

PunkPyro912

idk...how would i check? it gives me the option to connect with a proxy but it is all grayed out and like unchecked...id really like to have this pro blem fixed ASAP...thanks for keeping me posted

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
If it's grayed out then you aren't behind one.

What firewall are you using?

What version of AIM is this?

PunkPyro912

im using the standard firewall that comes with the windows xp pro i guess (SP2) and idont know what version of AIM it is....i think its the one before the latest one.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
As long as AIM is added in the Exceptions list of the firewall.

Does it allow you to add the port in there as well? 5190.

PunkPyro912

ok i upgraded to the latest version and added the port as an exception in the firewall...next time i can check to see if it works i will...and ill update for ya'. Thanks for your help so far.

PunkPyro912

ok well i tried to direct connect with my friend...with the latest version of AIM, and with both AOL and the port as an exception in the firewall settings and after a minute or 2 this is the message i got:

blahblahblah has not responded; no connection was made. Make sure that your Buddy is using the latest version of AIM. Changing your settings in the Firewall preference may help. Also both you and your Buddy may need to adjust the settings of the firewall software on your individual networks.

Where you ever able to use AIM on your network before? Are you connected to the internet through a router?

Rollin

PunkPyro912

yeah im connected through a router and before i upgrade my mobo CPU and RAM i could direct connect to people.

Why don't you try to bypass the router and connect using the modem directly. This will allow you to see if the problem is router or pc related. Have you updated the firmware on the router recently? Are you and the person you are trying to direct connect with using the same version of AIM? Has the other party on AIM recently had any hardware/software changes or does this problem affect all users in your AIM? Is it possible that your local IP address has changed and the new local IP address is not configured properly in the router's port forwarding.

Rollin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online