1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aim is closing automatically after logging in

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pixiedust09, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixiedust09

pixiedust09 Thread Starter

My aim has been acting a bit strange for the past 2 weeks. As soon as it finished logging in, it would close automatically. And after i uninstall and re-install it, it would be working again. But now, even after i re-install, it's now starting to do the exact same thing. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Hmm any error when it shuts down also a version of aim and operating system info would be nice. In the meantime, i would try this program: http://jayloden.com/software.htm
    save the file to your desktop and once aim is closed run it. Let it run, it will remove any virus nasty in there, and produce a logfile. Post that here and run a virus scan too.

3. pixiedust09

I just downloaded the first one, or was i suppose to download more than one?

BlockRemove(): Now checking for Block-Checker: .5
    BlockRemove(): Block-Checker not found
    IMNamesRemove(): Now checking for IMNames: .2
    IMNamesRemove(): IM Names not found
    CleanMstc(): mstc not found

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Just the aimfix one. Well have you maybe tried uninstalling aim, then deleteing all leftover data? Usually there is even hidden stuff left from it all over the system. Plus if you have not tried antivirus yet i would run it and see what it finds and if so i would remove all infections, reinstall aim like i told you too and see if that helps. Also what version of aim is it? And is there any appeared error and when you say close, does it just hide down in the taskbar (its running down there) or is there a complete shutdown. Also if you sign on with another screenname does it do the same thing?

5. pixiedust09

Where would all the left over data be? Also, when it just closes, it seems still be be running, cause the little icon still appears on the bottom right corner, but as soon as my cursor goes over it, it disappears. I use aim 6.o and i've been uninstalling and re-installing for the past week. That's only time it'd actually work, when i just finish installing it again and when i turn my compter off, the same problem would appear. But lately, after i just finish installing it would close.

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok well i would run the virus scan then a chkdsk. Sounds silly but this program has the silliest problems.

7. pixiedust09

i ran a virus scan, but nothing was picked up. What's a chkdsk?

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

it is a error check for the computer. To run it, you will need to open my computer>right click your C drive and click properties> then in the tools tab under error checking click check now>check both boxes and then click scan a dialouge will appear about needing to run at boot time and you click yes. Then reboot and the check will begin. It will take some time but once it is done just try the program again. And as stated i would try an old screenname if you have one and see if that has the problem.

9. Purduegrad

Purduegrad

I too am having the exact same problem.

10. spaldo

spaldo

hey, ive been having the same problems for months now, and i just remembered what i did to fix it, LOL, anywho, this just worked for me, but go into your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and look for aolsoftware.exe in the processes tab, end it, if your see more than one running (thats usually what causes it) end those too. hope this fixes things!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice