1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

aim/pop ups/ ie 5.5 problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jakewade, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

hi everyone,

1) my kids suscribe to aol instant messanger. every time i open an identity in outlook express to read e mail (several accounts) aim opens with it. now i've gone to aim preferences and turn off the start aim at windows toggle and i've searched for something similar in outlook and ie and simply cannot find it. could some one send me instructions on how to stop this irritating and sometimes time consuming "feature"?

and

2) got the kids a new computer and have recently rebuilt the old computer - cleaned out all the old stuff-, formatted the hard drive, reloaded win 98se, reloaded all the programs that i need. problem is when i am reading my e mail and click on a site represented by the e mail i am getting a pop up advertisement almost every time. this didn't happen before so i must have found a way to stop it but i do not recall how. can you help with this one too?

(by the way, if i use a pop up stopper program my broadband internet connection, roadrunner, doesn't work properly. an initial site window will usually open but subsequent windows/ hyperlinks won't.)

once again as always, thanks for all the help,

jake

2. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

hi,

didn't get any feed back on the last couple of threads so i 'm trying again.

pesky problems. hope someone has an answer.

thanks,

jmw:

3. Steppinstone

Steppinstone

Well you seem nice enough so I will attemp to give you a reply LOL.

I am not sure if IE5.5 has this option or not > I have aim on my IE toolbar- Try right clicking on the aim icon hit customize. then you highlight aim from the list and click remove , it should work!

In regards to your pop-ups. yes pop-up stopper programs will stop web pages from loading properly, If you are getting an unusual amount of pop-ups then you might have a spyware issue. Go into the security section of these forumn and check out rollin rog's list of helpful sites and go to the spybot link! Good luck! Steppinstone

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice