AIM unexpectedly disconnects

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevincao

Hey guys, just had a very annoying problem lately. I'm in highschool and my friends (co-workers) and I make websites for different people. We use AIM to communicate with one another to do certain projects and what not. My AIM will unexpectedly log off once and awhile. I have no idea why. I know it's not a virus or spyware, this happened maybe for the past year (and in that year there were many refomations). I didn't mind it much back then, but now it's annoying with the work I have to accomplish through AIM. It would just lose connection and tell me something like "Instant Messenger has lost its connection....." Has anyone else had this problem? I use SBC DSL if that helps. Thanks

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Usually with an error like that, AIM will claim it's a *temporary* problem.

What version of AIM are you using?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
I see this happen to a lot of people lately. Have not determined the cause of the issue yet though.

Has AOL already made the switch to "TRITON" their next AIM? The following provides some info.
AOL Testing Next Generation AIM Client
By David Worthington and Nate Mook, BetaNews
April 26, 2005, 12:00 AM
BetaNews has learned that America Online has begun beta testing the next generation of its AOL Instant Messaging software called "Triton," which will replace the existing AIM client. Triton addresses user grievances while adding highly anticipated bells and whistles including tabbed messaging and chat logging.

As the first major overhaul to AIM since its inception, Triton introduces an entirely new, simplified user interface that adopts contemporary elements such as tabbed message windows to switch between different modes of communication. Users can also corral all chat sessions into a single, tabbed window dubbed "IM Catcher."
http://www.betanews.com/article/AOL_Testing_Next_Generation_AIM_Client/1114480209

Found another ref concerning the above.

AOL's "Triton" instant messenger targets Skype
by Derek Sooman on Wed 23 Nov 2005, 07:26 PM

AOL has today launched a new version of its AOL Instant Messenger program, containing enhancements that are no doubt intended to compete with Skype’s feature set. "Triton" enables users to send instant messages, send SMS texts, engage in audio and video chats, manage Plaxo-based address-books, listen to AOL's radio portfolio and purchase VoIP phone calls.
http://www.techspot.com/news/19533-aols-triton-instant-messenger-targets-skype.html

further research of the aol help site came up with the following.

Q: Is AIM Triton compatible with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat?
A: : AIM Triton works seamlessly with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat. You can send and receive instant messages with your buddies using any of these clients. Certain features may not work across all clients at this time. Voice Chat with more than two people only works with other Triton users. Video Chat will work only between two Triton users at this time.
http://www.aim.com/help_faq/starting_out/getstarted.adp?aolp=#six

I'm in highschool and my friends (co-workers) and I make websites for different people.
see if your friends/coworkers switched. from looking at the above. you may need to make the change also. and if you do, the link is below.

http://www.aim.com/download.adp?aolp=

Aim 5.9 is rather stable, it may be a problem with your internet connection or your router. I would look more into these things than aim.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online